Is this misleading advertising?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4463 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am trying to find a new broadband deal, with home phone.

I am finding it incredibly difficult - because the headline rate bears no resemblance to what you actually pay.

Take Plusnet - a tv advert - broadband and phone for £9.99 per month. In small letters, at the bottom of the screen "line rental required, £12.99". So - actual cost is actually £22.98 - more than twice as much, and it is not possible to get the package by paying the £9.99.

Line rental makes sense when people pay for individual calls - but most packages don't do that anymore - it seems to be a way of keeping the headline rate attractive while hiding the real cost.

Of course then there are the "for the first three months" type adverts - real cost is 2 or 3 screens further on.

To me it seems like going in to Tesco, wanting to buy the advertised tin of beans for a penny - and finding that the label on the tin costs 50p, and you have to buy the label!

What do other people think?

IMHO, I don't find it 'misleading'. ( even though you might need to borrow the hubble telescope to read the important info! :-) )

To access the internet, you need some way of connecting to an ISP (phone line / fibre optic e.t.c)

That is what the £12.99 per month is for with Plusnet.

Then the £9.99 (or whatever it is in your area) is for the broadband and call package.

My point is that there is absolutely no way of accessing the £9.99 offer without paying the £12.99.

If you could get line rental elsewhere - then I could see it - but effectively, you cannot get the package without paying the £12.99

Hi Rebel - I shall take a photo of my tv.

Plusnet are very bad when there is a problem, I was with them for a while.

If it is just broadband you need what about a dongle? There are some good deals now on dongles and 'line free' hubs are available as well.

I'm now with 02 and haven't experienced any problems.

Even Virginmedia mislead customers with their prices by not quoting that you MUST have a phone line.

My point is that there is absolutely no way of accessing the £9.99 offer without paying the £12.99.

If you could get line rental elsewhere - then I could see it - but effectively, you cannot get the package without paying the £12.99

Hi Rebel - I shall take a photo of my tv.

You can access plusnet thrugh a BT line, so it's not plusnets charge.

Plusnet are very bad when there is a problem, I was with them for a while.

If it is just broadband you need what about a dongle? There are some good deals now on dongles and 'line free' hubs are available as well.

I'm now with 02 and haven't experienced any problems.

Even Virginmedia mislead customers with their prices by not quoting that you MUST have a phone line.

If you do decide to go for a broadband dongle, check out which is your closest cell

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search

Also plusnet do have a company rep on the boards here... Bob-Pullen.-Plusnet-Customer-Support he is always more than happy to help, give him a shout if you want him to take a look at things.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Plusnet say that their line rental is required.

For the broadband and calls package that is correct. For broadband only you can use a BT line.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Plusnet (aka BT (spitting noise)) can also be used with a non BT (spitting noise) service.

It you don't mind going with BT (spitting noise) you can pay a year up front for £120 so only a tenner a month.

However, its likely you can get the Plus Net internet package with a monthly line rental from http://www.homephonechoices.co.uk/ which will cost you only £6.79 per month for a 12 month contract.