Admiral charging us £400 to cancel our cover??

gryffen
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4454 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone - please help!!

Ok, for around 4 years my hubby has had the insurance for his car through Admiral...he changed cars in Feb last year, changed the paperwork etc and has admitted every little point and fine from his licence. Every year we paid in full due to a better offer instead of paying monthly.

we changed to another provider earlier this month due to a better rate per month and when he called to cancel at Admiral - they said that due to him not admitting he had 3 points on his licence in 2008 - we are due to pay £400 to them???????????????????

We immediatly challanged them as that year we we through a comparison checker, all details still saved, and we admitted that 3 points are on the licence at point of buying the policy.

The woman said there is no notes of this and is going to listen to the recordings - we said that is no issue as hubby had called up with a question, asked about the points, and the reply from Admiral (in 2008) is that its not necessary for them to have those details???

Now, they also said they were going to call us back last friday with details of the call - they never did?

So, because someone gave us wrong information, or didnt take down the proper information when we mentioned it - we are being punished for their ignorance, lack of training etc

This is where i get lost?

1 - we cancelled when we recieved the paperwork - everything paid in 1 lump sum....no payments due

2 - General Condition 4 - administration charge is 1 full year policy to cover....even tho we have the policy for over 4 years??????

3 - Are insurance companies required by law to check with the DVLA to insure everything the policy holder says is true?

Sorry, im not a driver and this has annoyed me, we pay, were covered and we cancel - admiral wants us to pay within 7 days and send back the policy cover notices etc.....

what do we do?

Make a complaint and threaten to involve the FOS.

If the policy is cancelled after the renewal date, you have to pay the relevant time on risk, plus per the FOS, they can charge a cancellation admin fee of up to £50. The cancellation admin fee will noted in the policy documents.

I can't see that it is reasonable to charge a backdated premium for missing information that the Insurers cannot prove was not provided when the policy was original taken out. If Admiral don't back down, threaten to take the complaint to the FOS and it will then cost Admiral a £500 FOS fee and your husband nothing.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Tell them you can't consider the payment until you have details about the call, Admiral need to either produce the call or show a log was made of the call, if either don't refer to the point's your not looking good.Likewise if they have no call or record, if you can evidence the call was made (this will involve asking your phone company for backdated call logs), you should have no problem. If none of the above, it will depend on who's got the best case, presumably Admiral will note the convictions or not on the statement of insurance sent out at renewal (I could be wrong, I've not been involved in this side of things, this is going of my own experience), if these are not noted, it would be for you to bring it to their attention. To answer your question about the DVLA, no - it’s up to you to provide the correct information, and for them to believe what you tell them, it’s a principle called utmost good faith.Contrary to UB67's comments about the FOS fees if you are wrong you should pay,

Edited by Mwynci