• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

M T Collect sending me worrying text msgs - help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4511 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I, too, have had a horrendous time with these people. I stupidly took out a PDL in November of last year. I was due to pay it off in full at the end of that month, but they rolled it over without my consent. What was worse is that the funds actually disappeared from my account, only to re-appear a few days later. The interest payment then left my account together with a £25 late charge. I contacted my bank who said that the funds left my account as they should have.

I phoned CF1 to complain, but as I had taken cash from my account for other things, I couldn't pay off the full amount. The guy I spoke to checked out my account and couldn't give any reason why it had happened. He said he spoke to his boss who said they'd deduct the £25 from my total balance. The moment I asked for the amount I owed, I was cut off. I phoned straight back but I could not get through.

During the call I had told the guy that I wanted to repay this as soon as possible. He said that if I didn't do anything, the full amount would be taken in December. At the end of December, again, only the interest was debitted from my card. I phoned up and the woman I spoke to said that I had applied to roll it over to January, which was complete lies. Again, I asked for the balance of my account and again I was disconnected. I sent them countless emails and tried literally hundreds of times to call them, all without success. The one time I did manage to get through, I was told that their system was down and they couldn't take my payment. I asked them for the balance on my account, and, again, you've guessed it, I was cut off.

Fast forward to the end of January and the same thing happened as November. The funds left my account on the 28th, great, I thought. Only to reappear on the 1st Feb. On the 2nd Feb, the interest payment left my account. I called them up again, I was astonished to find that their system was down. When I asked them for my balance with the request that I wasn't cut off, yup, you've guessed it.

The above may sound unbelievable to some, but I swear that it is an accurate account of my dealings with these shysters. I honestly do not know what to do. I am at my wits end. I have thought about cancelling my debit card and forcing them into dealing with me, would that work?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

PS, I have absolutely no idea how I would go about recording a phone call.

BigChap - not unbelievable at all. Note the new Daniel Bishop thread, I guess people are making enough noise now for them to sit up and take notice - will be interesting to see if they stick around to justify their scandalous behaviour anyway. As people will say, cancel your card immediately or it will keep happening.

If you can't record calls, don't speak to them on the phone at all, keep everything to emails (somethng with as per Bishop's threads are not their preferable contact method - simply because they can't make as many threats there as it leaves a trail, don't expect any response on email but at least you'll have your chain of communication - look to send all emails in the post aswell to their office if you have the money to).

Phone them back and record their peurile threats then laugh at them when you tell them (at the end of the call) that you are going to pass on the transcript to your local police as they are demanding money with menaces.

ONLY USE THIS METHOD IF YOU ARE STRONG ENOUGH

We normally say to deal only in writing but this company needs a good (metaphorical) kicking

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Mate I can honsetly say I laughed at him down the phone and told him he had no powers to access my property and he got very very shirty about it, started shouting at me saying they were coming to get me. How would I record this? It's quite sad I'm trying to sort myself out and they're not bleedin interested!

If you have a home phone with handsfree facility (commonly called a loudspeaker!) and a mobile phone with a record function, Bob's your mothers brother!

OK, you do need three hands sometimes but it is worth it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

My card is now cancelled. Thanks for the advice, and to silverfox for the recording advice, I hadn't thought of that.

Is it best to write out a letter to my bank instructing them not to release any further funds to these shysters?

BigChap - not unbelievable at all. Note the new Daniel Bishop thread, I guess people are making enough noise now for them to sit up and take notice - will be interesting to see if they stick around to justify their scandalous behaviour anyway. As people will say, cancel your card immediately or it will keep happening.

If you can't record calls, don't speak to them on the phone at all, keep everything to emails (somethng with as per Bishop's threads are not their preferable contact method - simply because they can't make as many threats there as it leaves a trail, don't expect any response on email but at least you'll have your chain of communication - look to send all emails in the post aswell to their office if you have the money to).

Freakishly enough I had a call from MT Collect just now. I'm shaking with both fear and anger - offered to make a repayment plan but they demanded £100 or they're "kicking the doors in" tonight and taking £905 worth of stuff, they have "drivers" out and about and will visit me in the next hour apparently. My parents dont know about this mess, I've made an offer and got laughed at. I know they need to make a prior arrangement or I can tell them to get lost and to take goods they have to go through the court but they were so so aggressive. Please help ASAP!

This is outrageous - these people are getting worse, how dare they threaten to come and kick your door down, that's demanding money with menace and should be reported to the police.

when is something going to be done about this - I'm making an appointment with my local MP to see if he can do anything.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

My card is now cancelled. Thanks for the advice, and to silverfox for the recording advice, I hadn't thought of that.

Is it best to write out a letter to my bank instructing them not to release any further funds to these shysters?

Contact your bank by phone initially but follow up in writing. This is a must and ideally sent by trackable means

This method should be used

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?850-Continuous-Payment-Authorities-How-to-stop-them

Is it best to address the letter to my local branch?

Thanks for the advice.

Local Branch????

I didn't know they had one. Head office is always best anyway

Yes, address your letter to the local branch - make sure you have your address and account number on the letter and write " I am writing to give instruction that no payments in any form are to be made to Capital Finance One from my account No:XXXXXX please act upon this instruction with immediate effect". Send by recorded delivery or hand deliver to the bank. Keep a copy for your own file.

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Local Branch????

I didn't know they had one. Head office is always best anyway

I thought the op meant his local bank branch ???

Sorry, I misread your post. I agree with Ell-enn