Abandoned car in snow.....in a disabled bay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4515 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After being hit by another car and making numerous attempts to get home, being pushed up several roads I finally left my car on side street as it was completely unsafe to drive!

After successfully parking my car I realised the sign above where I parked was a disabled bay sign. I couldnt move as my car was skidding all over the place (rear wheel drive cars are awful in the snow i have now learnt!).

Can I get a ticket? Is there anything pro active I can do?

Thanks in advance.

You could get a ticket.

Leave a note on the windscreen and take pictures of it to show how bad it is.

Come back here if you get any trouble

It took me two hours to get home from there. Didn't take any pictures or leave a note. I'm just so worried it may be there for a few days. I physucally couldn't drive it, it was swinging side to side and would not go up the hill :-(

Well it is in your interests to get back there and get a photo and leave a note.

You have to learn to think defensively when these things happen to you - because there is always some predator around who is just waiting to the chance to get you

It could be worse - you could get towed. Disabled bays are among the worst places to leave a car.

Have you reported the accident to your insurance co (you should)? Do you have recovery included with your insurance? They might tow it home for you if you are unsure whether it's safe.

Otherwise, can you not get back over there and move it away from the disabled spot, even by a few yards?

'Parked for reasons beyond drivers control' clear grounds for appeal if you do get a ticket however try not to leave it any longer than you can. Unless its in a built up area its unlikely the parking dept work on a Sunday especially in the snow so if you cannot move it ring Council first thing tomorrow and ask for their advice.

Good advice, if it's still there tonight. There is such a thing as a "no ticket, no tow", where the council will instruct the CEOs not to action in certain circumstances. Whether they will agree or not is up to them, and you are, after all, depriving a disabled driver of a space. But definitely worth calling first thing and trying to get the council on-side until it's dealt with.

Thanks for the replies.

i was just trying to get home and it just got to the point where the car was moving sideways I couldnt drive anymore.

I parked it where it was, then straghtened up asmuch as possible. Only when I got out I saw the disabled sign (although the bay is completely covered in snow) There was a car parked directly behind me and there was no way I was going to start manouvering the car around (narrow road with cars parked on either side)

It is a built up area so.....

Problem is, it will take me at least two hours to get back there and if the conditions arent any better anyway i doubt I will be in a position to move it....

I do have RAC assisstance but for obvious reasons I could not get through to them last night...

In terms of the accident....

Two people crossed the road right infront of me (I couldnt have been doing more than 10mph) and I had to slam the breaks.I must have just missed them. However, the car behind went straight into the back of me. The two padestrians obviously did not car about the accident that they had caused and just carried on walking. The guy in the car behind apologised but insisted my car wasn't damaged. I couldnt really see because of the snow but his front bumper clearly was! he gave me his name and numbe and i took down his number plate just incase....haven't reported anything to my insurers though.....someone was in the car with me too so witnessed everything.

What a fun evening I had!

I have been in this situation having lived

in many very cold and snowy parts of the

country, the advice is to notify the police

of the reg no. make and model of car they

will usually TAG it as ''Police Aware'' if they

can they will affix a notice to the car.

Has always worked for me.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

In terms of the accident....

Two people crossed the road right infront of me (I couldnt have been doing more than 10mph) and I had to slam the breaks.I must have just missed them. However, the car behind went straight into the back of me. The two padestrians obviously did not car about the accident that they had caused and just carried on walking. The guy in the car behind apologised but insisted my car wasn't damaged. I couldnt really see because of the snow but his front bumper clearly was! he gave me his name and numbe and i took down his number plate just incase....haven't reported anything to my insurers though.....someone was in the car with me too so witnessed everything.

What a fun evening I had!

You need to report this to your insurance company and log it as a "3rd party fault". Irrelevant of why you braked sharply, (although you clearly took appropriate action to avoid injuring a pedestrian), the 3rd party failed to maintain a safe distance behind you to respond to a potential hazard.