Pet Insurance - Halifax & LTSB pulling out of the market - Will M&S be next ?

citizenB
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4476 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just seen that Halifax and LTSB are pulling out of the Pet Insurance Market.

I have my two dogs insured by Marks & Spencer, will they be next to withdraw ?

Like the following two caggers's. I researched the Pet Insurance market thoroughly before diving in. Both of my dogs have long term issues, if I were forced to find another Insurer, I would lose the continuous cover that I have with M&S.

Meaning that any problem my dog has now, will not be covered by a new provider.

This would be of great concern as I would then be liable for £thousands in vet bills.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?335687-Halifax-withdrawing-from-Pet-Insurance-I-have-a-complicated-pet!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?334741-Lloyds-TSB-puling-out-of-Pet-insurance-Have-I-got-a-case

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I think the pet insurance merry go round has got out of hand and insurers no longer find it profitable. There is a sort of unholy alliance between vets, manufacturers and insurers which is now imploding. When it was first brought out, pet insurance was intended as cover for rare and expensive emergencies. It's become an excuse for vets to carry out batteries of expensive tests and 'prescribe' a multitude of related and overpriced (but not life-saving) stuff which manufacturers brand as 'veterinary' products.

Have just done a review of the policy and premiums.. Although I appear to have either mis filed or destroyed the renewal forms from prior to 2008 :(

This is for the older dog - born September 2005 - Golden Retriever

renewal date February each year

2008 - Premium - £167.88

2009 - Premium - £227.88 - increase of 26.4%

2010 - Premium - £341.64 - increase of 33.3%

2011 - Premium - £528.00 - increase of 31.7%

2012 - Premium - £682.08 - increase of 27.7%

New clause in this year's policy - If a diagnosis has been made but not treated for 12 months - it will not be covered.. ever - I am advised that this new term would be unenforceable.

Amber has an allergy problem which is treated by vaccine every month. The vaccine is only available from Holland apparently and is possibly why it is extremely expensive.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

For the younger dog - Toby - JR - born 2010

2010 - Premium £224.52

2011 - Premium £250.92 - increase 3.5%

Toby has a "design fault" - his front leg joints where the ulna nerve grows into had closed early which prevented his front legs from growing correctly. I was referred to the Cambridge Vetinary college where he had an MRI scan. The Consultant advised that he wouldnt recommend surgery as Toby had already grown as much as he was going to. Had it been that Toby was a larger dog then surgery would have been carried out .. either breaking the front legs and extending them with rods or attaching stretchers where the bones were stretched a few mm each time until they were straightened.. needless to say, both procedures would have been horrendously expensive (although covered by the insurance) and very stressful for both dog and owner :(

Long term prognosis is that he will likely suffer from arthiritis much earlier than would be expected.

If M&S were to pull out of the market it would be a nightmare trying to assess what expenses we could possibly face in the future.

BCOBS

New clause in this year's policy - If a diagnosis has been made but not treated for 12 months - it will not be covered.. ever - I am advised that this new term would be unenforceable

I think that must be right. They can't suck you in to a new long term scheme and then start varying the terms of the scheme just like that. Even if the new term is introduced at the beginning of another annual contract, there is still an overreaching contract to supply you with cover on the same terms and to keep on offering you renewal on the same terms

This amounts to dishonest and unfair treatment by the HSBC

Thank you :)

BCOBS

50,000 pet owners face crippling vet bills after their insurance is axed

Marc Gander, founder of Consumer Action Group, which is preparing the legal challenge, said: ‘The bank has gone back on its promises and betrayed these policyholders.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ance-axed.html

Edited by citizenB

BCOBS

• 3 weeks later...

BCOBS

JuryMan, welcome aboard.. if you do, then start a thread with all the details - The Co-operative claim to be "the ethical bank", so you might just be one of the luckier ones :)

BCOBS