Council investigates bailiff firm

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4525 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks.

Here's a bit more

Birmingham City Council has begun an enquiry into the bailiff firm it uses to recover council tax debts after concerns were raised about its practices.

The first of two evidence sessions was held in January following concerns raised by council members at a meeting in November 2010 about the conduct of Equita, the bailiff firm owned by outsourcing giant Capita, over the way it handled council tax collection.

The issues raised included causing unnecessary stress to debtors, small debts increasing significantly due to bailiff charges, letters being delivered at 12.30am, and private tenants being chased for unpaid council tax owed by previous tenants.

Thanks for that Bankfodder, Birmingham and their Capita/Equita stitch up has been at the heart of several threads on here, and it is commendable that Birmingham Council are looking at the procedure, however, the Officers will no doubt try to hide some of the least palatable shenanigans that have been done by Capita in the back office to aid their Equita chummies enhance the bottom line, from the scrutiny of the elected members. I sincerely hope this investigation will be in depth and thorough, with robust action against the perpetrators of any illegalities uncovered

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Thanks for that Bankfodder, Birmingham and their Capita/Equita stitch up has been at the heart of several threads on here, and it is commendable that Birmingham Council are looking at the procedure, however, the Officers will no doubt try to hide some of the least palatable shenanigans that have been done by Capita in the back office to aid their Equita chummies enhance the bottom line, from the scrutiny of the elected members. I sincerely hope this investigation will be in depth and thorough, with robust action against the perpetrators of any illegalities uncovered

I am afraid your hopes will be fulfilled when

flying_pig.gif

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wonder what changed Birmingham City Council's opinion of them then?

What Our Clients Say

Birmingham City Council (Council Tax)

“Birmingham City Council agrees annual collection targets with Equita and during the last 4 years they have consistently exceeded our expectations in terms of cash collected and performance delivered. There is an ongoing commitment to support the aims of the service both through the innovative use of new technology and adopt flexible working practices.”

Birmingham City Council (Non-Domestic Rates)

"Birmingham City Council has the largest number of business rate properties in the country. The types of properties are extremely diverse both in terms of their size and the type of ratepayer. These can vary from the local corner shop trader to a multinational company.

The business rate section has been able to work in partnership with Equita to maximise the collection of business rate and Equita have met all targets that have been set. They have proved to be flexible in their approach to collection as evidenced by their ability to target types of properties or particular areas of the city as directed.

Birmingham also has a "3 Business Rate Improvement Districts"; these are still relatively new and Equita have experience of collecting the levy created by this process.

I believe that Equita have the experience, knowledge and resources to be able to collect business rates and BID Levy in any local authority.”

I am afraid your hopes will be fulfilled when

Sadly your opinion will hit the bullseye, Ready Captain all pigs helmeted suited and booted ready to fly

BTW have you met this fine fellow yet? http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i334/brassnecked/th_ConwysFinest1.jpg

Edited by brassnecked

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

As many people on here are aware, I have a commercial business providing bailiff advice to the public and have been responding to enquires here on the forums for at least 3 years and regulars will know that for a long time, I have had VERY SERIOUS concerns with bailiff enforcement for Birmingham City Council and other local authorities that "outsource" their council tax department to Capita Ltd. The concern being that each of these local authorities somehow manage to win contract bids to use either Equita Ltd or Ross & Roberts as their bailiff provider and the fees that are being charged by Equita in particular have been of concern to posters here on the forums for a long time.

As many people on here know, Capita Ltd owns Equita and also purchased Ross & Roberts approx 2 years ago.

PS: I have written to the team that are carrying out the enquiry.......

As many people on here are aware, I have a commercial business providing bailiff advice to the public and have been responding to enquires here on the forums for at least 3 years and regulars will know that for a long time, I have had VERY SERIOUS concerns with bailiff enforcement for Birmingham City Council and other local authorities that "outsource" their council tax department to Capita Ltd. The concern being that each of these local authorities somehow manage to win contract bids to use either Equita Ltd or Ross & Roberts as their bailiff provider and the fees that are being charged by Equita in particular have been of concern to posters here on the forums for a long time.

As many people on here know, Capita Ltd owns Equita and also purchased Ross & Roberts approx 2 years ago.

PS: I have written to the team that are carrying out the enquiry.......

Excellent tomtubby, as they MUST grasp this particular nettle, and sort it out, and your knowledge and evidence of the issues faced by debtors subject to their procedures would be hard for Capita and Equita to refute easily if at all.