Worn Hips

Astro1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4509 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yes it is a degenerative condition that i have. If i'd had my hips replaced when i was younger, then over my lifetime i would have to have had my hips replaced at least three times and by the time it came to having the third set of hip replacements done, there wouldn't be much left to attach to, which is why they prefer to leave it until the last minute.

In part of the report it says:

Xray of the pelvis including both hips shows there are some degenerative changes in the left hip.

Xray of the lumbosacral spine shows that there are some degenerative changes.

Unfortunately people seem to think that once you get your hips replaced, your as fit as a fiddle the next day and that they will last for the rest of you life.

Yes it is a degenerative condition that i have. If i'd had my hips replaced when i was younger, then over my lifetime i would have to have had my hips replaced at least three times and by the time it came to having the third set of hip replacements done, there wouldn't be much left to attach to, which is why they prefer to leave it until the last minute.

In part of the report it says:

Xray of the pelvis including both hips shows there are some degenerative changes in the left hip.

Xray of the lumbosacral spine shows that there are some degenerative changes.

Unfortunately people seem to think that once you get your hips replaced, your as fit as a fiddle the next day and that they will last for the rest of you life.

I know this not to be true, I also have a friend in her early 60's she had her right hip done, only they managed to get one leg slightly longer, this has resulted in a condition of the spine (cannot remember name) but it is out of line, she is in more pain with this, than her hip - and there is NO cure for this.

Also got a friend on her second hip replacement in 7 years, for what you are writing about..she is dreading it.

So, no everyone is different.

Lilly.

Hi Astro,

You and i have similar conditions. I was faced with the dilemma weather to have my hips replaced at thirty and hope it worked, if it did work then i could grab maybe 10 years 'Quality of life'.

The condition i have also affects all my Joints not just my hips and is degenerative, and i would concentrate on the meaning of that, ' the more you use, the worse it gets ' . Pain is there for a reason so when you wake up in agony in the morning, Atos say never mind that pain, come on up you get, walk on them hips, do a days work soft arse. Hey its going accelerate journey to a wheelchair but so what, you dont deserve quality of life your disabled !

Surly the government cant force people to hurt themselves physically can they ?

Teenyb

Lily, I genuinely believe depression and other mental illnesses to be far worse than eg broken legs or other physical injuries. With most physical ailments they can be succesfully treated by eg splinting said broken leg. But with depression what helps one wont help another. But truly believe me here, I strongly encourage you to speak to your Dr about getting into something that starts getting you out the house and gives you an interest. This worked for both me and a friend of mine.

Apolgies OP, I shouldn't of said you should work. I cannot say that. But what the government and the taxpaying public are now saying is, If a person has some sort of disability, it needn't mean they are entirely unable to work. As I said before, if you are capable of sitting then ATOS could fairly say, well you are capable of doing office or call centre work.

teenyb, I have 2 pretty much knackered knees. The surgoen that looked at me said in an ideal world he would replace them, but due to my age he wont. I like your friend get lower back pain due to the way I stand compensating one leg over the other. But I genuinely don't believe this to be an excuse not to work. If ad when it gets to the stage I cannot do the manual part of my job, then I will accept that I will have to concentrate on a clerical side of it.

My Father worked well into his 70's with similar problems along with a collapsed vertibrae in his back. I suppose it depends on your attitude to life.

Lily, I genuinely believe depression and other mental illnesses to be far worse than eg broken legs or other physical injuries. With most physical ailments they can be succesfully treated

No idea where you got that from. It's simply not true. Many physical problems aren't treatable.

As I said before, if you are capable of sitting then ATOS could fairly say, well you are capable of doing office or call centre work.

Many people (such as me) find they can sit; but have to keep on getting up constantly to avoid pain. How many employers do you know would be happy with that?

grahamengineering

Quote... teenyb, I have 2 pretty much knackered knees. The surgoen that looked at me said in an ideal world he would replace them, but due to my age he wont. I like your friend get lower back pain due to the way I stand compensating one leg over the other. But I genuinely don't believe this to be an excuse not to work. If ad when it gets to the stage I cannot do the manual part of my job, then I will accept that I will have to concentrate on a clerical side of it.

My Father worked well into his 70's with similar problems along with a collapsed vertibrae in his back. I suppose it depends on your attitude to life.

Graham, I sorry to hear about your knackered knees, and also your lower back pain but I admire your work ethic, and your resilience ! Its great that you have the the determination to 'Get Up And Go' !

I think you have pointed out where i and so many others are wrong !

Your absolutely right, a life on disability benefits is my personal life style choice ! I choose to sit at home on my backside all day, everyday.

Right im off to have a word with myself. Clearly all i need to do is adjust my attitude to life and and speak to my doctor about '' getting an interest''.

Thank you !

Thank you for the replies.

I came onto the forum and asked a simple question. "Just wondering if anyone with worn hips has been awarded more than 15 points for ESA or won at Tribunal?"

honeybee13, One of the site team, asked for a bit more information, which i provided.

The question i asked, or the information i provided seems to have rattled someone's cage, as it looks the thread has been infiltrated by one of the government's Candymen. :!:

Do appeal Astro1,People on this forum will be glad to help and advise you...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4017514

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Welfare reform is a live and contentious political issue. While this forum is not really the place to debate politics, I acknowledge that some discussion of the issues is inevitable, given our subject matter. For that reason, I've allowed this thread to continue even though feelings obviously run high.

So I'd just like to remind everyone that this is primarily a place to help people with their benefit issues. If there is to be debate, it must always be civil and must never be personal.

I respect the members here, who help many people every day. I trust we're all on board with this. Thank you all.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Hi Astro,

You say your condition was diagnosed as being degenerative. The reason i asked the question is 9 years ago after an accident i found myself in a wheelchair, and for the first couple of years i could wheel myself around all be it not the way most people of my age at the time without my existing condition would have been able to.

And then the degeneration in my elbow & shoulder joints accelerated, my joints began to 'crumble' and arthritis set in really badly. The result is that i can barely use my arms now without a lot of pain, crunch and crumbling noises. The point to telling you this is, had i been assessed 9 years ago as fit for work how much quicker would i have been in this situation ?

My condition will continue to deteriorate and had i still been able to walk my hips would have been in exactly the same condition as my arms. Thats why i recommended on the degenerative aspect of your particular condition.

Teeny

I have been reading this thread and am saddened to read the snidy comments made by Graham to gain one-upmanship. The majority of people on this site are very ill and disabled and need all the help and support they can get. This site has been a saviour for me and thankfully I have received kindness and support when I most needed it. The OP must feel awful reading some of the comments Graham made as he can only speak about his own condition and not label everyone else as being as fit as himself.

Worn Hips, good luck to you and my very best wishes to everyone else, as I am now 'worn out'.

JB

OK, this is wandering off topic a bit. I'm going to close this thread for now, as the OP's question has been answered. If anyone wants to further discuss the government's welfare reform proposals (or anything related to the politics of benefits in general), you're welcome to start a thread in the Bear Garden forum.

Astro1, if you need further advice about this, let the Site Team know by clicking on the black "!" triangle at the bottom of this post. This will send us a message and we can look into re-opening the thread.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4509 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks