Virgin Media - DPA breach? further advice needed

mp77
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4536 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Approx 1 calendar month ago, I wrote a letter to the Data controller Virgin Media because:

I was receiving e-mail that said "welcome to Virgin Media" followed by an account number an a region number (which on googling suggests an address in Essex - I'm nowhere near!!) etc - i.e. suggesting I was a customer. However I am not a customer and never have been!!

Anyway, I wrote to the Data controller telling him/her that I not a customer. I also asked why someone else's account had been associated with my e-mail address. I also asked him/her to investigate and to ensure that I receive no more emails from Virgin Media. My letter was received and signed for by Virgin Media on the 16th December. I have kept the evidence (including signature of recipient).

However, on the 30th Dec, I received yet more emails from them - this time a "your bill is ready" email!!

Would you guys think that 1 calendar month is a reasonable time to respond? Would you guys think that the emails sent after I asked them to stop constitutes harassment?

I pretty sure that this cock up is innocent - i.e. the email address provided by the actual customer has been misread or been transcribed incorrectly. I am, however, peeved at the lack of response and the continued emails after I asked them to stop.

So should I write again to the data controller or go straight to the information commissioner? Also, do I have a point regarding harassment, and if so would you recommend I do anything about it?

any advice appreciated

I would drop them an email to remind them of their responsibilities and also state that if you problem is not rectified then you will be contacting the information commissioners office and also ofcom. Send a copy to the customer services, and also the data controller. Usually when you threaten with these companies they pull their finger out their backside as they can get fined if they dont

Regards

sfuk

:whoo:Debt Paid £9.99 - Unlawful Debt Removed £51.09 - Total Debt Busted £61.08:whoo:

SFUK vs Jacamo / JD Williams - WON

SFUK vs Vanquis Bank - Ongoing