landlord moany about rent!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6467 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi everyone....

A few months back we were having trouble making ends meet and so had problems paying our rent and had to do things like pay part of it on time and the other part a week later.....this has since been sorted and I set up the direct debit ab=gain for our rent to come out on the 28th.....then last month had a phone call from the wife half of the landlord having a right go at me because our rent hadnt been paid on time.....the bank takes 3 working days to transfer the money so they actually got it on the 31st....

now, before we had problems our money went out on the 28th and they never said a word to us.

Our rent is now due this Thursay but that is when my parenter gets paid...I phoned the landlord today and explained this and said that I can either transfer the money on the 28th and they'd receive it three days after that or we could bring it round in cash for them on Thursday...to me, this sounds perfectly reasonable....but my landlord didnt like it and said 'is this going to happen every month?' and basically implied that if it was going to happen every month we'd be out.....can he do this? We are not in arrears and apart from the glitch a few months ago when my partener was out of work everything has been fine....I dont like being threatened and oviously this is now causing a great deal of worry that our landlords might try and kick us out even though we are paying our full amount of rent on time....

Is there anything I can do about it??

Thanks, amy

Halifax

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent - 30/1/2007

Prelim letter sent asking for total of 1571.52 - 15/3/2007

LBA sent 30/3/2007

court papers filed

Offer letter received - £1495.13

The original agreement started on the 15th of the month...then it was changed to the 28th as it suited both us and our landlord better (they took 2 weeks worth of rent from our deposit, this was all agreed and I still have all the letters etc)...they made an amendment to our contract about this too.

We have lived at this property for almost a year (it'll be a year next month)

Halifax

LBA sent 30/3/2007

court papers filed

M_A_A_B in reply to your post:

SO THAT YOU ARE BETTER INFORMED OF YOUR RIGHTS....

1.As long as you pay the rent and your landlord accepts it you are okay.

If you have 2 months of arrears accrue,he could see to evict you on the grounds of rent arrears.

2.Once the fixed term of a tenancy expires a landlord can issue you with a notice to

vacate that would give you 2 months to move out of the property.

If you still live in the property after the two months lapse,the landlord would need a court order to evict you.

In this case,the landlord does not have to give a reason.As long as the tenancy that was granted in the offset was an Assured Shorthold Agreement,the possession order would be absolute and in favour of the landlord.

There are two other possible things you could do in order to pay the rent on time:

a.Withdraw the money and pay it directly into your landlord's bank account and at the same bank that his account is with due to the delays in the bank to bank clearing system.

or

b.Speak to your landlord about your desire to forward the day of payment of the rent and pay him say the 3 for 4 days difference on a pro rata basis.Then start to pay him several days after you know for a fact that your partner's wages will be available in order to pass on the rent to the landlord.

Anyway,I hope you find this information/suggestions useful.

If you have any more questions,just ask.

Keep us posted.

All the best!

M_A_A_B, you have tto see this from the landlords point of view as well. He may well have bills including his mortgage coming out of his account on or shortly after your rent money is due. If you upset him in any way then as N4B has pointed out he can issue you with a notice to vacate and get tennants that in his view are less trouble.

I understand he probably has bills etc but that is not really my problem is it? As long as we pay our rent on time that should be fine. When we first moved in I set up the direct debit for the money to go out on the date our rent was due and they never had a problem with it....I understand now that they might be worried and so want us to make sure it gets to them by the due date......the thing that bugged me is that we couldnt do a bank transfer that would get the rent to them on that day so we offered to take the full amount round in cash and he got moany about this...I think that is a perfectly reasonable thing to do....when my boyfriend gave him the money he was absolutely fine....in fact, they always seem to be ok with him but have a go at me...

As for getting tennants which are less trouble....I think he'd be lucky to find anyone who would want to live in this area and pay rent to a private landlord

Halifax

LBA sent 30/3/2007

court papers filed

M_A_A_B,just to add:

1.You should be able to transfer cash from the same bank that your landlord has his bank account with more or less immediately provided it is before 3.30 pm

Monday-Friday.

2.If your landlord wanted to evict you,why do assume that he would want to rent the property out again to alternative tenants?He could easily put it on the market to sell.

3.Finally,at the end of the day,you do as you wish.However,you will find that to be comprimising with your landlord is by far the best way to deal with him in order to keep the roof over your head and he will in turn respect you more.

Anyway,this is my further 2p's worth.

All the best!

the reason I said about him getting other tennants is because of the post above....

thanks for the replies

Halifax

LBA sent 30/3/2007

court papers filed

The landlords bills etc may not be your problem but if it annoys him its going to make him less likely to help you in any matters. As to paying him by cash - as said before he may need the money in the account on that day or soon after, if like many he has trouble finding time to go to the bank then the paying in of the cash may be awkward. The simple fact of the matter is that whilst the money has left your account on the due day its not been paid to the landlord on the due day, this is not his fault and now that you are aware of the banking delays it will definately be classed as your fault.