Uk citizen with debt in Germany, please help.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4175 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Keldavmet,

You are in good hands with the Brig.

I have attached a file that may give you some insight into the German Debt recovery laws - I am by no means an expert.... but like you I too live in Germany and wanted to understand the consumer debt law incase I fell behind with any consumer debts I had/have. I think the file was origionally gleamed from sources in 'toytown' or one of the other 'expat' sites.

viel Glueck!

Ggerman debt law.doc

• Confused 1

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Both,

Sorry if I opened a can of worms there.

I must confess that my knowledge of the laws here in Germany are not complete in any way shape or form.

Was only trying to help, I especially liked the bit about the 3 year SB..

Good luck with the research Brig and I hope that you can get the SB 'grounded'

I will try doing some research myself on this

Good hunting

G

Hi,

I have found this:

According to German civil law claims are generally statute-barred after 3 years. To interrupt the running of the period of limitation it is necessary to initiate court proceedings before the 31.12. of every year at the latest. In case of limitation of action no further court proceedings are possible and excluded by law. To levy execution against the debtor's goods and property is not possible afterwards.

So IMHO they must commence proceedings before the 31st December of the third year after the 'cause of action' and each subsequent year thereafter. Can you check all of the paperwork you have and verify the dates.

I hope the BRIG can verify this as the above translation is not very accurate/concise

G

I am NOT of the 'legal' profession and these are my own understandings and findings

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Keldavmet,

Sorry that things didn't go as well as planned.

Keep your head down for a couple of years and hopefully this will blow away......

Remember that if they do track you down in DE that any mail being delivered will not arrive if your name is not on the letter box!

G