Serious Data Protection Breach of HIGHLY sensitive personal Information

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4544 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi my O/H received a letter from ta local Council a couple of weeks ago which came as a dreadful shock and we need advice....

The party involved due to the seriousness of their breach have notified the ICO themselves and notified us on their serious breach of O/H's personal details by putting them in a report of a meeting on their website for SIX!!!! jaw.gifyears including::jaw::jaw::jaw::jaw::jaw::jaw:

• Full Nametinysmile_cry_t3.png
  • Date of Birthtinysmile_cry_t3.png
  • Place of Birthtinysmile_cry_t3.png
  • National Insurance Numbertinysmile_cry_t3.png
  • Telephonetinysmile_cry_t3.png
  • Addresstinysmile_cry_t3.png
  • Signaturetinysmile_cry_t3.png

The ICO is taking action against them. We have now raise a complaint with them as this has obviusly caused considerable stress. The ICO told us to take Legal Advice as of the nature of the Serious breach.

I understand under Section 13 that we can claim compensation for distress alone if to do with journalism, art of literature.

As this was a report of a meeting/hearing , then I gather we can claim because of the 'Journalism aspect. Is this correct

Here is the email:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr xxxxx

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding xxxxx Council.

I understand that Cxxx have published highly sensitive personal information on their website.

The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) is responsible for administering the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA), which is concerned with the processing of personal data. The DPA requires, amongst other things, that organisations which process personal data employ appropriate safeguards in order to ensure the security of that data. If an organisation fails to take appropriate steps to ensure the security of the data they hold then it is likely that that organisation will have breached the requirements of the DPA.

We have already been made aware of this incident and our Enforcement Department is investigating the matter further, with the assistance of xxxxx x. Details of any action taken against xxxxx x under the DPA will be displayed in the ‘Taking action’ section of our website, which can be found using the following link:

I have taken out as outcome will identify my O/H

As we have already been made aware of the breach, we do not require details of individual complaints. However we will keep a copy of the information you have provided on file as evidence should it be required in the future.

We are aware that you may have concerns about the security of the data; if you would like some practical guidance about avoiding identity theft you may wish to view pages 29 - 34 of our Personal information toolkit.

Also, individual’s have the right to compensation under section 13 of the DPA if they have suffered damage, or damage and distress as a result of any contravention of the requirements of the DPA by a data controller.

The Information Commissioner cannot award compensation or assist with any claims. For further advice about claiming compensation please see our guidance through the following link:

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public...pensation.aspx

I hope this information is useful. If we can be of any further assistance please contact our Helpline on 0303 123 1113, quoting your case reference number. You may also find some useful information on our website at www.ico.gov.uk.

Yours sincerely

Michelle Axxxxx

Case Officer – First Contact Group

Milly Xxxx

progress.gif

CAPITAL ONE (O/H!): Won £1864.63 including contractual :D

GE MONEY: WON £266.00