Cannot Afford My Father's Funeral

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

My father is terminally ill and I have been told by the hospital that he isn't going to last much longer.

He is undergoing Palliative care and is so 'out of it' he is unable to say what he would like and I do not think he has a will or insurance.

I am so upset by the fact that I cannot afford his funeral that it is overshadowing my whole life at the moment.

I'm in debt to my eyeballs and have trouble making ends meet let alone paying the £3,500 that a small funeral is going to cost.

My father lives in EIRE and I live in N. Ireland.

Does anyone know if there is any assistance that I could get with this?

My dad was a soldier so I think the Royal British Legion may help me but I am worried in case his location might prevent this.

At my wits end!

RI

(Apologies if I posted this in the wrong section)

has he no bank accounts himself...

typically the bank honour the cost from his accounts

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I've asked someone who might be able to advise, just need to wait for them to respond :)

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

The RBL has a branch in Eire - I once sat through a very, very long speech by its President at a Services dinner at Queen's University in Belfast. However, the RBL doesn't usually help with funeral expenses.

I'd start with these:

ABF The Soldier's Charity, Bldg 45, Thiepval Bks, Lisburn

SPVA (Service Personnel & Veteran's Agency) 0800 169 2277 can advise, and has details of Regimental Associations, many of which make funeral grants in cases of need.

Location shouldn't be an issue.

Please feel free to pm me if you have any dramas getting in touch with any of the above - this sort of thing is part of my day job.

Hope this is helpful.

Have you checked the criteria for help from NIdirect? http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/money-tax-and-benefits/benefits-and-financial-support/bereavement-1/funeral-payments.htm

Also see; http://www.funeralsearch.co.uk/help-with-costs.php AFAIK because Eire is part of the EU you should be able to get help from the DWP.

• 2 months later...

If you are in southern Ireland and your dad is on a social welfare pension the social welfare will give you about 1000 euros to the cost. Also if he has a credit union account they also give about 1000.00 death benefit.

• 6 months later...

mrs s unfortunately died in july no insurance etc we were living on benefits did the ness informed the dwp

funeral grant applie for first letter came out please show proof of insrance letter back another letter today they insist that thir was a prepayment plan in place never the less an award was made

they awarde crem fees doctors fees . registrars office 16 miles return awarded 25p wouldnt pay the extra 12 quid for the copy death certs and indeed deducted money from award as id received what was owed on higher rate of dla and classed that as incom

any advice or put this in the correct forum

cheers soppy