ESA Suspended ("Living with Partner")

SheffieldSY
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4604 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm the flatmate of a young woman who suffers from severe anxiety and claims ESA. Her family do not support her condition, and the condition itself means she doesn't have many friends/contacts so combined with the restriction on Housing Benefit to only support her on a 'shared' basis (she is under 25) she doesn't have a choice really about where she lives (we're both happy with the arrangement I should say, we get on well and it's beneficial for my finances too).

We have lived at 3 separate addresses - first time moving because our fixed term tenancy was up, then because neither of us liked the area.

Understandably, the Job Centre became suspicious of our arrangements, and sent somebody over. The Compliance Officer asked several questions about our living arrangements (separate bedrooms and bathrooms, split utilities, but we share some laundry and food for economy). This visit took place on September 12th. My flatmate received her ESA on the 13th as scheduled but did not receive any on the 27th.

On October 1st, Sheffield City Council wrote notifying us that the JobCentre had notified them of a "change of circumstances" and that my flatmate was "living in a partnership" with me. She wrote to the JobCentre on the 15th, with no response, and again emailed somebody at Barnsley BDC who promised to write a letter last Monday - as of today there has been no written communication from the JobCentre whatsoever since the Compliance Officer's visit over a month ago.

Today, my flatmate rang and asked what the situation was. She was told that "no decision had been made" and that there probably wouldn't be one until next week at the earliest, and all her written requests were being forwarded on to the decision makers as evidence!?!

Now - I'm a full time student, I don't have much income but luckily the timing of my student loan means I've been able to cover rent and bills while my flatmate has not been paid. This can only go on for so long (and she understands this), and it really isn't much longer. It's all a significant stress on both of us - her condition has worsened as a result of the uncertainty and obviously it's quite a burden on me - sure I could say it's nothing to do with me her finances, but we are both jointly and severally responsible for the entirety of our rent month-to-month!

Does anybody have a rough idea of how long these things normally take?

Is it normal for her benefit to be suspended for so long and without and written explanation?

The biggie I guess, and probably an irrational fear of mine, is there a risk that the police will start knocking on our doors?

Can I do anything personally to contribute to the process?