ITV Player & Freesat HD

lgb2100
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4607 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

in Nov 2009, Freesat announced that it's Freesat HD service would be receiving ITV player.

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/itv-player-to-launch-on-freesat

There press release in January 2010 cinfirmed this....

http://www.freesat.co.uk/files/3112/9172/7869/BBC_iPlayer_trial_on_Freesat_expanded.pdf

It quotes…..

“With ITV Player also due to launch on Freesat in the first half of this year, we will be the only TV platform to offer catch up services from both major broadcasters on a subscription free basis and without the need to buy new equipment.”

*** WITHOUT THE NEED TO BUY NEW EQUIPMENT ***

Which followed in numberous advertising stating that ITV player would be coming in 2010.

Altough almost a year late, ITV player arrived - that is for Humax owners, and Freesats 999 Channels states that it would be coming soon over the next few months to other Freesat HD boxes & TVs.

However.... in this month Freesat has posted on their website which models of devices will be getting ITV player.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/what-you-get/on-demand-tv/check-your-box-or-tv-for-on-demand

My TV - a Panasonic TX-L32G20B isn't going to receive ITV player, even though it was released in March 2010 - AFTER Freesat's press release/annoucement earlier in the Year.

Panasonic response to this when queried was;-

"Unfortunately, it will not be possible to provide software upgrades to further enhance the platform used in this range of TVs in the future. Therefore any future additional services cannot be guaranteed. ", and confusionly

In response, the comments made by Freesat are not model or manufacturer specific. We can only support information provided by Panasonic directly, not other companies. We are currently looking into the possibly of adding services such as ITV player, 4oD and 5 on demand. However, we can not currently offer any definitive statement as to whether these services will ultimately become available.

"To confirm, these services did not form a part of the television's original specifications and Panasonic have not confirmed if these services will indeed be added."

Freesat's response was :- "I am sorry to hear of your situation, although I hope you can appreciate this is not something that Freesat can directly influence. Freesat doesn’t make or sell any products, so ultimately the decision to develop software for new services like ITV Player rests with the manufacturers of Freesat receivers. "

As Panasonic has had my registration details of the TV, since the day of purchase, have not made any attempt to contact me stating that ITV player is not possible, and my request of a replacement product or additional equipment has been rejected.

I had pointed out , what is currentlt being shown on Channel 999/900, and what was advertised throught the year....

i.e.

“With ITV Player also due to launch on Freesat in the first half of this year, we will be the only TV platform to offer catch up services from both major broadcasters on a subscription free basis and without the need to buy new equipment.”

*** WITHOUT THE NEED TO BUY NEW EQUIPMENT ***

Not sure where to goto next. ASA for false advertising, Trading standards, or just take it on the chin, and accept that my TV may not be possible to receive any future Freesat HD services.

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

This Panasonic TV was purchased to replace the LG TV when LG finally admitted that it couldn't deliever BBC iplayer (and in future ITV PLayer).

As a refund wasn't given by LG, I seeked a refund from teh retailer, who refunded once they saw my argument.

When purchasing the replacement Panasonic, I checked all advertising, and there was nothing that would make me believe that ITV would not become available to a set released in 2010 (after Freesat's Press release of Jan 2010).

I do not feel that the retailer should suffer again, because of the manufacturer/Freesat so on this ocassion willing to accept a box in order to receive ITV player.

This refused, by both Panasonic and Freesat.... even though I pointed out Emma Scott's (MD of Freesat) statedment of 2009/2010...

and that Freesat have been advertising a similar statement on website, and on in store leaflets.

I have contacted the ASA, but not sure what their reply meant !

"Unfortunately we won’t be able to help you on this occasion, as the content falls outside the remit of the CAP Code."

So I have a few options.

1. seek refund from retailer, and purchase replacement TV - which costs more, as they have 3D content (which I don't require)

2. sit back, and keep my TV, and accept that ITV player will not arrive, despite what has been advertised throughout the year.

However, either way, Major global corporations such as Panasonic must not be allowed to benefit from sales by wearing the freesat ‘badge’, then let their customers down by not meeting the full freesat range of services extant at the time models such the 2010 G20 were designed and marketed. To hide behind contractual technicalities when the going gets tough is something customers who have spent upwards of £600 on a freesat TV will not forget when the time comes to next replace their TV’s, and other consumer technology.