NMR/DVLA discrepancy - should I walk away?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4675 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I've just looked at a 2006 Honda Civic that I really like and want to buy. Having done an HPI check on it, I got the dreaded "discrepancy" which looks like the below:

Data currently held on the National Mileage Register (NMR) indicates that there may be a mileage discrepancy on this vehicle.

Mileages as recorded by the National Mileage Register

Date recorded Recorded by Mileage Reading

13-Apr-2007 Franchised Dealer 12,654

30-Nov-2007 Trade Association 22,274

25-Jan-2008 Franchised Dealer 24,857

06-Oct-2008 Franchised Dealer 37,400

20-Jan-2009 Trade Association 41,650

13-Jul-2009 DVLA 134,000

27-Aug-2009 BVRLA 49,288

Does this look like a typical DVLA typo, or is it reasonable that a car could have done nearly 100,000 miles in six months? I love this car and dearly want to buy it, but I'm concerned about this. For what it's worth, the car has a full service history and only two owners (including the current one).

It was bought from a dealer in November 2009, but doesn't appear to have had it's mileage updated since before then. Would the MOT have had that done?

Looking for reassurance - if this can be fixed with service records etc I will still buy it, if not I will walk away. For what it's worth, the car doesn't drive as though it's done 134,000 miles plus, if that means anything at all!

As all the other readings are in keeping with each other before and after, that reading clearly looks to be an anomily. I have had a car that had such a reading before and I applied common sense logic that it cannot be right. 93,000 miles in 6 months is over 500 miles a day, every day for the whole period. If the owner was doing that, he'd never have time to get out of the car to work or sleep!

if you know the reg and can get the ref no from a previos mot or V5 you can go on the vosa website and check mot mileages and its records.

also if you can have sight of the V5 speak to the previous owners to check history.

I presume the car had a change of owner around July 2009 so the V5 was sent to DVLA - the V5 would have been sent off , and despite it being optional, someone has entered a mileage reading on the V5 - problem being, these forms are machine read so any electronic garbling of the reading are passed onto the NMR - which is why I only get people to fill in the compulsory areas of the V5 as less to go wrong!