HELP with the DVLA

59_OK
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4657 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A couple of months ago i part exchanged my car with a private seller, we both agreed that my private number plate was not part of the deal. I sent off the v5c slip the next day and he sent his off to, i also sent a v317 transfer form in with my v5 slip so that the number could be transfered all by registered post. Around four weeks after his i receive a letter explaining that "the v5c registration certificate for the recipient vehicle has not been enclosed". After a call to the dvla i found out that should have enclosed both v5c slips. After a more calls and a few wks past i receive my new vehicles v5c with my address on it. Sent everything bk as requested, 3 wks later another letter, "the keepers information on the v317 for the donor and the recipient vehicle is not matching the keepers information on the v5c reg docs. The keepers details for both must correspond with each document in order to transfer." After more 30min phone calls and being passed around from person to person an operator couldnt explain what the issue was with the letter and said i should just send it bk? While trying to sort this matter out and not wanting to send everything off again as correspondance took so long i recieve another letter explaining that someone else has applied to be the recored keeper. After talking to the buyer of my old car he explained to me that the dvla had advised him to do this as the was no record of a v5c for my old vehicle. To try and cut a very complicated story short i have now been told that i am not the owner of the vehicle or reg even tho i still have the v5c. The car has now been sold on again twice, none of the new owners say they have any paperwork. I have been fined by the dvla for failing to notify change of vehicle and let off when i explained in a letter. I understand i made mistakes but it seems that the dvla made alot more when sorting my applications out. The plate is worth 20k and i am very worried i may lose it, can anyone help me??? thanks, ollie

When you sold the car, what 'slip' did you send to DVLA, it should be the completed first page of the V5C, and the green V5C/2 on page 2 should be given to the buyer - he keeps that and doesn't send it anywhere - it acts as his registration document until DVLA send his own V5C.

Did you sell the car with the private number on it? If you did, that is the problem as the number will go with the car unless it is was transferred to another car or put on retention before the sale and the car sold with the replacement number. If the current registered keeper details and the form V317 details don't match, you may have lost the number unless the current keeper is prepared to transfer it back to you, part four of the V317.

Edited by Raykay

Hi, the problem was that we part exchanged vehicles so we both sent the correct v5 slips in but this complicated the v317 form. I should have sent both parts" ie:one from me one from him" of the v5's in but i could'nt have done this due to us both selling our vehicles. If i had know this prior to the sale i would never have attempted the transfer at the same time as changing keepers.

I have been trying to contact the buyer of the car but its been sold on twice now and i am fully relient on their help to locate the plate. The dvla told me that the plate has now been taken off the vehicle i sold it on. I have no way of tracking it or finding out where it is. The car was sold with the plate not included but this has no bearing as soon as the dvla blocked my transfer application due to the new keeper filing for a new v5.

• 1 month later...

Could you update us on this matter please. Also do you know who the first private seller you sold the car to and was there a written agreement that the plate was not included. This matter does not seem fair on you at all as somebody has sold on property that was not theirs to sell. Hope this can be sorted. Best wishes P

Just out of interest 20K must have been an obviously valuable plate. What was it.