Late paying car tax

Jon12345
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4436 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've messed up. The other day I noticed that my tax is just over 2 months out of date. :( I was thinking it was November that I had to pay but must have got out of sync by paying 6 months. Anyway, I am now worried about the consequences of this oversight.

What sort of fine am I going to get when I tell them?

Jon

Most likely is the £80 Late Licencing Fine plus they will also want the missing 2 months back-tax. I think that is all that will happen as you have managed to realise it is missing before the police or DVLAs trawller van has caught you and clamped you.

p.s. I presume you are taking steps to tax it immediately? !

As you do not have your V11 renewal form the counter staff at the Post Office may not be in a position to issue you with the back dated licence even with your V5c. Because of the circumstance of the 2, now possibly 3, month gap your best course of action is to go to your local DVLA office to explain and grovel, as they will, after filling out a V10 form. They will also let you know about any late penalty.

You have not mentioned a change of address that might account for not receiving a V11 renewal form (alright lost in the post), nor after this length of time a letter informing you of the fine (also lost in the post?). Does your V5c show your current residence? If you have moved and forgotten to notify them the staff at the local office will assist you to rectify this also. They are generally very helpful. You can find your local DVLA office here. http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/contactus/localoffices/findnear.aspx?keywords=local+dvla+office

Do not panic, blame others or the system, these things sometimes happen which is why I suggest a personal visit to your local DVLA office as you will then be dealing with a person, not a computer.

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

You should be able to renew from 1st Aug at your post office using your V5, insurance doc and (if necessary) a valid MOT. They cannot backdate the tax to when your last one expired, but for that you would simply have to wait for the dreaded DVLA computers to whirl into action when they spot the gap.

I would not want to leave this error running for any longer than necessary and I certainly wouldn't want to run the risk of driving the car at all and getting spotted. (Getting spotted = more fines and/or even clamped!)

I had this happen to me just last year, i called my local office, and they were very helpful to be fair, no late fine, just got a new tax disc, and asked me to pay the missing 3 months i had accrued.

While the dvla are very bad at some things, i found being honest and upfront, they are very good in this regard.

question everything!

• 8 months later...

An out of court settlement offer would be for the offence of not having a licence, which would be for a time when your vehicle was unlicensed. Although you subsequently obtained a licence and paid the outstanding duty, the offence still stands.

I had this happen to me just last year, i called my local office, and they were very helpful to be fair, no late fine, just got a new tax disc, and asked me to payei the missing 3 months i had accrued.

While the dvla are very bad at some things, i found being honest and upfront, they are very good in this regard.

Can u provide details as I paid an arrears yet the dvla still want to seek an out of court settlement? Thanks.

You have two separate matters, which is why it is dealt with at different departments of the DVLA.

As your licence was is not renewed on or before the expiry of the old one, you are liable for the Late Licensing Penalty - s.7A, Vehicles Excise and Registration Act 1994. It is in respect of that penalty they are not taking any further action.

It is an offence to use or keep an unlicensed vehicle on a public road - s.29 of the same act. As your car was allegedly seen to be on a public road when it was unlicensed and reported to DVLA, their usual procedure is to make an out of court settlement offer before proceeding to a summons to court for that offence. The fact that you subsequently paid the outstanding duty does not make any difference to having committing the offence at the time.

Edited by Raykay