Tax credits sent to a default account

thebigdaddy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4688 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I need some advice before I go to the bank on Monday. For the first time in a few years, we have qualified for Working Tax Credits the HMRC sent the back dated money (£1100) to an account that went into default and was closed by the bank, was closed about 2 years ago, and is still in default until they sort out the PPI/Loan Guard Claim. HMRC says they will not recall the payment from the bank and we need to wait for the bank to return the payment, HMRC have says today that it looks like the payment has been accepted, is there anyway to force the bank to return the payment to the HMRC, as the money is for my wife and kids not me.

Thanks for reading.

James

Hi Rebel,

Thanks for your info, our oldest son is disabled, so I suppose I could go the route you suggest. The payment from tax credits was unexpected by us, without the payment we are no worse off, with the payment some outstanding debts can get paid off.

To be honest I do not know what to say to the bank, Me "Hi, tax credits sent you £1100 to a closed, defaulted account and they want it back, can you return it to them" Bank "No".

Now what do I do, speak to a manager and complain or go to the banks ombudsman and start some sort of claim.

The worst thing is, I have not received any working tax credits from the tax credits/HRMC for at least 10 years (though the wife still receives child tax credits) and all of a sudden I am entitled to working tax credits for last year and they made the payment to an account without checking if it is still a valid account, so can I claim against the tax credits for not checking out of date details, it's not my fault but theirs,,,,,,

cheers

James

Hi the big

I would be tempted to put it in writing rather then phoning them, explain that the money has been put into a closed account in error. Use your post below to explain about your son and that it's for essential stuff. Explain that you'll take the matter further if the monies is returned - FOS.

Hi guys,

A little update for you all, GOOD NEWS, I phoned the bank, no answer, so I went into the bank spoke to a few people, explained what had happened, was given the number for central recoveries, who authorised its return, went to my local branch and was given the money in full.

Happy days

Cheers

James