breach of contract / lack of trust

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4709 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A few weeks ago, I was absent from my post for about an hour. I had noticed other memebers of staff on the same pay scale as me had been enjoying the day sitting in the staffroom and making the most of the teacher strike. I found this extremley anoying and decided to join them.

The school suffered no loss from my being away from my desk, however, when i returend, my line manager lost his temper with me. he was very emotional and unprofessional.

He was screaming and saying very untrue things about my work which was clearly heard by two other staff. This made me very distressed and embarrsed. as it was the end of the day, i decided to leave and speak to him the next day.

I honestly beleived that he would apologise to me due to his emotional state that day. i discussed the event with my partner who also agreed that my manager would probably realise his action where wrong and would apologise - in my eyes, all would be forgiven.

unfortunatley, the next day i was called into an informal meeting with my line manager and her superior (very complex system at my work, basicaly im one persons line manager when it suits and another also)

The meeting was more of a kangaroo court, fact where not right and it was made out that my workrate is not up to standard with everyone else. i challenged this vigourosly but it was to no avail, everytime i gave a clear, evidence based argument. my manager would simply say "well thats behind us now anyway". it was quite clear that i was giving very good answers to her questions which she had no rebuttal.

since the manager who had spoken to me so unprofessional was also in the meeting, i decided not to raise the issue then, instead to write a letter outling the event and asking for a private meeting to discuss the next course of action.

i recvied no reply until the last day of term when my manager (not the unprofesional one) approached me in the my office and said "that letter you sent me about XXX, we'll have a meeting after the summer to discuss it"

My manager said this loud enough for everyone to hear in the office, including the manager i had written the letter about.

Does this constitue as a breach of trust/ breach of contract?

I had asked for a private meeting with my manager to discuss this. She failed to do this, instead opting to verbally inform me about the meeting on the last day of term in front of other colleagues.

would an email or letter be more appropriate?

I personaly think this is the only way to communicate on such matters.

i have been collecting evidence of bullying and harrasment from both my line managers. This really is the last straw.

i am in a union and will not go into the meeting without a rep with me. my line manager has dealt with this person before and knows him well.

any advice would be appreciated.

rs

I wouldn't worry too much in your profession, it's not T*sco's (Hi T*sco's HR monkeys!)

Yes, it indeed sounds unprofessional and unreasonable to behave towards you in such a way.

I'd submit a grievance and let the union get involved.

Does this constitue as a breach of trust/ breach of contract?

From what I understand about Breach of Contract - it may well have been a breach as it undermined your trust and confidence in the employer as represented by the perp.

However, the catch is that if you continue working the Breach is considered healed or at least plastered over. If you had walked out on the spot and made an employment tribunal claim that would be Breach of Contract.

Now your options are to raise a grievance formally or have a less formal meeting (perhaps just the 3 of you or with the union representative if necessary) to clear the air.

It does not have to be a formal meeting just because the union is involved. They are able to be there for support and advice at informal meetings too.

It is up to you to decide which is the smarter route as both will have consequences. What are the real chances of effecting a change? Can you give it a little more time before taking the formal route? I am wary of grievances now because they can easily backfire.