CCA on settled debts?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6483 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

This might be a whole new can of worms for people here!

I recently paid off a debt collector to the tune of more than 2000 quid. I just did it because I knew what the debt was for, and didn't want any hassle.

Have just been reading the threads on CCA's and the 12-day/one month rule.

Even though it's been paid off, can I now request that they produce a copy of the original signed credit agreement and proof that they own the debt, and then if they can't they owe me back that money?

The reason I ask is that this is a pretty sloppily-run debt collector (as most probably are!), and there's no way they'll have all that to hand!

edinburghbeerbucket :D

No.

By paying it off, you acknowledged the debt.

It's not designed to let you off legitimate debts, it's to stop loansharks coming after you for money you don't owe - so they have to prove you tooke out the credit.

You should only request the agreement if you don't recognise the debt, and if they send you a signed agreement that would refresh your memory. You have already admitted you "knew what the debt was for" so why would you want a copy of the agreement?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.