DEPT of works and pensions DWP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4733 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i have been getting a lot of letters lately from the DWP Debt Collection dept saying that i owe them £694.o1 and to not ignore them and reply or make payment by the 23rd June 2011 or they will either a) recover the money throught the courts or b) refer my case to a private company for repayment collection.

Now all i can think of is i was last unemployed nearly 14 -15 years ago and after splitting with my wife i went back to scotland with my 5 year old daughter where i got a council flat and had no money. I approached the dss (now the dwp) and applied for an emergency grant for furniture. Looking back it must have been a grant or loan they gave me but where i was desperate and a single family did not look at the forms right, Now all this time later they are chasing me what do i do? Do i write to them or just avoid it as it was nearly 15 years ago now my daughter is now 21.I do work now but am in receipt of working tax credits and on a low income

As life-goes-on says, time barring does not apply to DWP debt in the same manner as it does to other debts.

From what you have written, although you have an idea of how this debt originated, you appear uncertain. If you are not sure that you owe the money, or are uncertain of the amount then you should absolutely write to them requesting evidence of the debt. If they are unable to produce that evidence, they should write it off. If they are able to produce the evidence (or if you avoid it) then they will continue to ask you for it either via their debt management, a DCA or by future deductions from benefit (including pension).

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)