Debt Busters - a strategic approach to crushing the misery of DCAs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4749 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've decided to start this thread, as a relative newbie to the forum because I believe that there is, perhaps, a third way.

The first way (other than hiding in a remote cave) is to enter into some agreement where a firm of legal eagles do whatever they feel is necessary to get DCAs off your back for a fee - and the norm seems to be about 30% in the case of a missold PPI and I don't know what in the case of a debt that cannot be repaid.

The second way is to use the forum as it is currently used where relative numpties like me pour out our souls and clever folk who have done twenty or thirty thousand postings to numpties like me and are probably repeating themselves for the umpteenth time respond and assist.

The third way is to augment the forum with a service whereby a group of moderators (call them what you will but they are the clever folk who know their way around this stuff) offer a service whereby a person in the mire can agree that a moderator (or a body corporate of some kind, made up of moderators) take over the challenge of fighting off the DCAs in return for some form of consideration.

Before I get booed off the stage please bear in mind that because I am a numpty it is not possible for me to think this through completely so I'll give you a couple of examples - and before I do this remember that the forum as it stands would continue to function as it does.

Example 1.

A person has an unsecured loan with PPI which has fallen behind because the person has lost his job and whoever the PPI is with simply does not pay out. There is a finite range of hurdles to jump through which are probably well known to clever Trevors and they can do them in their sleep and take a massive amount of stress off the victim.

Example 2.

It's the same as example 1 but the unsuspecting person didn't fall into the trap of buying useless PPI.

I am sure that there are many other examples both similar and dissimilar but the above starts the ball rolling.

I don't believe that there are any absolutes in this and I am sure that there are many points which need to be considered but in so doing I would say this: -

There are very many vulnerable people who, through no obvious fault of their own have found themselves in a situation with which they are ill equipped to deal. An enhancement to the forum is one which would enable those who, for whatever reason, feel unable to deal with the wolves at the door, to arrange for a clever Trevor (singular or otherwise) to act on his behalf.

IMHO, before this thread is killed stone dead, I believe that there may be contributors who are capable of taking this idea and making it work (even if on a limited scale initially). The forum accepts donations to help to keep it running at the moment and this can continue. Depending on the circumstances of the dispute and its resolution there may be ways of adding to the coffers of the forum that are entirely amicable. Perhaps some form of limited trial run could be piloted to see if the concept is feasible and, if it is, it could then be extended.

Clearly, I feel that there could be some dialogue by those on the top table guided by contributions from we mere mortals and, in due course, we shall see what we shall see.

Thanks for looking.

Smeagol

Thank you all for being part of a forum which sheds light into this murky world.

I used to be uncertain - but now I'm not so sure....

Found an interesting post on 38degrees about Bankers (et al) hiding behind bad sections in the Data Protection Act. If you want to change it add your support by voting for the proposal to change the legislation - and tell all of your friends (as I am doing here). The link is http://tinyurl.com/6fttnx5

Smeagol, at the risk of sounding smug, we were all Numpties when we started, but by reading and asking advice some on here became less of a numpty and more of an "expert" so in the ethos of self help, which is what this site is about, that would probably be the best answer.

Also if people did help on more formal way and it went wrong, who is the member going to blame??

Smeagol, at the risk of sounding smug, we were all Numpties when we started, but by reading and asking advice some on here became less of a numpty and more of an "expert" so in the ethos of self help, which is what this site is about, that would probably be the best answer.

Also if people did help on more formal way and it went wrong, who is the member going to blame??

Exactly...

This is a self help site, the idea to promote self empowerment. Everyone who gives their time is a volunteer, they too have lives, families and their own problems.

It is an excellent idea, smeagol.. but it just isnt going to work.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Good start.

Here's a parallel example. Using the premise that anyone can become expert over time (which is partly true - we are not all equally gifted) how many would run into a burning building or tackle armed robbers (both of which I've done)?

Some people are gifted in some areas but not in others. You are right that you have lives to live and your own problems to solve and natural selection may mean that you would be unable to participate in a trial.

There is nobody to blame if something goes wrong following forum discussions so it's a point of consideration. Professional Indemnity Insurance could be one avenue to explore.

Smeagol

Thank you all for being part of a forum which sheds light into this murky world.

Found an interesting post on 38degrees about Bankers (et al) hiding behind bad sections in the Data Protection Act. If you want to change it add your support by voting for the proposal to change the legislation - and tell all of your friends (as I am doing here). The link is http://tinyurl.com/6fttnx5

Good start.

Here's a parallel example. Using the premise that anyone can become expert over time (which is partly true - we are not all equally gifted) how many would run into a burning building or tackle armed robbers (both of which I've done)?

Some people are gifted in some areas but not in others. You are right that you have lives to live and your own problems to solve and natural selection may mean that you would be unable to participate in a trial.

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning here. I have had some interesting experiences in the past, and indeed am writing this from a conflict zone, but I learnt about dealing with debt through experience and the help of others. I help on CAG mostly because I believe in fairness, and because I find bullies abhorrent, whether they be Serbian soldiers or DCAs.

Would I wish to be paid to do it? No, for several reasons. First, that already expounded above. Second, it becomes an obligation - as it is now I can take or leave a case. Third, because I suspect that it would cause conflict amongst those involved.

I believe that I am an example as given above, I am not a moderator (well not on this site), or a member of the site team, neither am I any kind of expert. However, using the words of the OP I was and sometimes still am a numptie. I came to CAG like most others find CAG through sheer desperation for someone to help and advise me, mainly because although I always responded to DCA letters, it would appear nobody ever read my replies., and that is so time consuming and frustrating.

I am a fairly literate person, and became interested in all the various problems arising on CAG. I was getting so much help and I have quite a bit of time on my hands, so started to spend more time here, not just for personal problems, but to see if there were any answers I knew. I think I began to try and help those in despair firstly, as I had had a career as a Nurse in not just general medicine but Mental Health too. Then, gradually as I began to mentally 'retain' the help I had been given I started to offer small pieces of advice, and it has now progressed over 2.5 years to where I can often offer a helpful comment or two. I still have a few ongoing problems of my own for which I seek help from time to time, and am here most days, but as has been said, it would, to me, not be as enjoyable if it were an obligation. I am retired and disabled now, so some days are not good, so I am not here, so long may it continue. I am not a Leader, but a foot soldier so to speak.

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning here.

Would I wish to be paid to do it? No, for several reasons. First, that already expounded above. Second, it becomes an obligation - as it is now I can take or leave a case. Third, because I suspect that it would cause conflict amongst those involved.

Perhaps the clarity of my writing is less than ideal. I'm not suggesting a paid for service though I am sure that many people faced with what to them seems to be intolerable persecution clearly consider that route worthwhile (see all the TV ads for example). I'm not asking contributors to feel obligated - that's a personal matter - some contributors make helpful suggestions whilst others like to get stuck into a particular problem.

As well as this forum (to which I am a recent addition) I've spent many years on other fora - especially those targeted at assisting programmers - another area where the goalposts are ever-changing. The point is to try not to keep reinventing the wheel. The library gives excellent templates on which to base correspondence to DCAs and the like and I've used that regularly and the matters with which I am dealing are progressing steadily. I've corresponded with many contributors who have offered excellent advice and all of that is much appreciated. I think that if I were to crystallize my point it would be to say that, with guidance, I can, with some trepidation, take on the challenge of the DCAs. I am, however, still outside my comfort zone and even with the excellent help I'm getting it is still something of a strain. The fact is, however, that some of the things that I am dealing with are to help other people who are simply so afraid of their plight that they are incapable of action (fight, flight or freeze - the freeze bit is often omitted).

So whilst I'm not asking for a system where contributors make a more formal commitment I'm thinking of a form of peer group where, perhaps, a moderator or contributor of established ability takes the lead (by choice) in a case and becomes the principal mentor of the person seeking assistance. This could extend (again by choice) to that contributor taking the extra step of agreeing, on an ad hoc basis, to taking on the case on behalf of the victim. Despite my relative naivity (or perhaps because of it) this is what I've done for a couple of friends and I seek assistance from the forum as if I were acting on my own behalf. The difference is that unlike my peers I don't know too much yet.

For those who experience flight or freeze (and there are many) they are at the mercy of the predators.

I hope my thinking is being expressed in a clearer fashion.

Smeagol

I fully understand your point. I'm not suggesting that individuals feel or become obligated. I'm mooting a concept where reinventing the wheel is reduced. If, however (and thus far experienced contributors seem disinclined in this aspect) experienced contributors feel that they are happy to take on a case for a contributor then provided that it is done without legal binding where is the harm. I think that it is and should always be a personal choice and I'm merely exploring possibilities.

Smeagol

Hi Smeagol

IMHO CAG is a 'self help' forum where you can get great advice but for the consumer to act on the advice themselves.

Given the number of subscribers and sheer scale of the issues the debt collection forum deals with and I have observered, it seems a mamoth task for a handful of the most seasoned people to take a lead on?

From a personal point of view, I'm glad I asked for help, I'm grateful for the help I recieved but most of all I feel empowered by researching the issues I have and tackling them for myself.

Just my own point of view

Hi Alloyz1...

I tend to agree with you in most respects and, like you, I have the greatest respect for CAG and all of those who seek to help.

I don't know how many or how few in number is that seasoned group but I believe that the Site Team work as a team on many issues (though I may be wrong on this point).

Like you I find the assistance empowering though I find the stress somewhat challenging at times. But my thoughts tend to be with those unable to cope with the stress and, as a result, may self destruct. The stress caused by "debt" seems quite distinct from other stresses (for whatever reasons) and I have seen those I consider to be tough and self-reliant crumple like a cheap suit. I'm happy to assist those I come across (as I am doing) and it may be that nothing should be changed. My intent is to provoke thought to see if "economies of scale" are, in any way, viable.

In a sense, I guess I'm looking towards lessening the "workload" of the helpers whilst maximizing the benefits. It may be that how things are done is optimal an preferred. Clearly the pool of knowledge gets deeper and wider with every constructive posting.

Smeagol