Car Giant - Breakdown Insurance Con

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6467 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a VW passat fom Car Giant in Jan this year. They offered a warranty that covered many things including Aircon ( they charged an additional premium for this ).

Okay, so fast forward to today.. the aircon stopped working. I phone them, they of course havent got me down for air con cover.. so I fax a copy of my policy and they agree for a repairer to look at it.

I took it down to the place they recommend, they checked it out and told me that it needs a new Dryer and a pipe going to the compressor. They quoted £330 to do the job, they had checked the policy and it doesnt cover the dryer or pipes!!!!

How on earth can they charge a premium to cover aircon then weasel out of it by listing things they dont cover in the small print?

Have I got any grounds to do anything regarding the description of the cover then actually not covering anything?

1st is this the only time you reported a fault or complained about the AC

2nd take it somewhere else who has no connection with the dealer & you feel you can trust.

3rd ask them to take a look & whilst it is assumed that the pipes are ask them if the dryer also forms a major component in the aircon.

Then get back here for further advice.

Hi,

Be aware, If it gets narky, the seller may say that the fault was outstanding before the car was purchased, and the warranty commenced, make sure you're up to speed on this, it's a common cop-out; aftermarket warranties are an absolute minefield. The next one'll be 'wear and tear', that's an old favourite.

But like JonCris' said, tell an independant air-con place the truth (hell, maybe 2 or 3 places) and ask for a free estimate, although to be honest, I can't imagine their 'approved' place being cheaper than anywhere.

Sadly though, if it helps, it's usually a leak in the system (maybe pipes) that causes a failure, which in turn, buggers the compressor.

Terry

Thanks for valuable input guys.

Jon, This is the first time I reported the failure. There are other faults I asked them to check out, but its the main issue. I will certainly phone around and see if someone else can take a look. A second opinion is def needed.

Tel, I think your right. In fact, when I got to the garage, the guy showed me the warranty book stating that it didnt cover the release drier or pipes! Typical huh! Fortunately the compressor seems ok.

Chief, I tried getting it regassed. I took it to Kwik Fit who were having a special on re-gassing. Which was if its not 5 degrees cooler when re-gassed you get your money back. Mine of course wasnt, but their system didnt pick up the fact the car had a leak in the system. It didnt stop the gas leaking out of the system when it was initially re-gassed in less than 24hrs. So I got my money back and got onto the warranty place.

Cheers again for advice.. I will let you know how my quotes work out.