style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4771 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I and my collegues have been asked to obtain a CRB check by our employer.

We are engineers that have to maintain equipment mostly located in hospitals. We have no patient contact.

My manager has informed us to report to a Police station, pay our £10, fill in the appropriate form and hand it in to the office.

Now my understanding is that this is not a CRB check and that CRBs come in two flavours; standard (£26) and enhanced (£44).

So my question is what exactly am I obtaining for my £10 and does my employer have any right to this information.

Thanks.

if your employer wants you to have a CRB surely he should be paying I've never had to pay for one. And you are correct the police do not do CRB's,

This is what Metropolitan Police say about Police checks

The MPS does not provide PNC disclosures for employment vetting services. If you require a disclosure for employment purposes, please contact Disclosure Scotland on: 0870 609 6006 or via their website

www.disclosurescotland.co.uk . The current procedure whereby companies require individuals to exercise their rights under Subject Access provisions at section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998, as a form of vetting, has been considered to be unlawful for many years and is against the spirit of the legislation. When Section 56 of the Act is implemented, it will become a criminal offence for the employer to ask individuals, as a condition of employment, to go through this process.

If you are going to work as a paid employee or as a volunteer for an organisation and your work will bring you into contact with children or vulnerable adults and have been asked to apply for CRB check you must access the CRB website and follow their procedure.

I hope that helps

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)

Hi,

I've never heard of such CRB check... The Police does not provide Police National Computer (PNC) disclosures for employment purposes... Disclosure Scotland does... and you possess the necessary information to request your CRB.

You should contact your employer, via their HR department and ask what details they do require, from whom, and for what purpose.

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

This isn't a CRB check - it is a SAR!!

A police station will just laugh at you if you walk in and expect them to give you a PNC print out in return for a tenner. I agree with the above - ask the employer - in writing - to provide details - in writing - as to why this information is required and what purpose it is to be used for. I guarantee you that it will be connected with the hospital work - Trusts are funny about anybody working in hospitals due to the 'opportunity' to come into contact with vulnerable people, however slight. Consequently they will require an Enhanced CRB - the £44 option - and that is ALL that they will accept, so where your boss gets his '£10 from a Police Station' idea from is a mystery.

If you weren't required to provide in when you started work, then this is a change to your contract and the employer shouldn't just be demanding this kind of information without explanation (although if it has become a requirement on the part of a client or customer, and is essential in order to retain the business, then it is perfectly reasonable to take steps to comply). You cannot also be required to pay for it, having never had to before, so I would want it in writing beforehand that the employer will be reimbursing your £44.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!