• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Northern Rock Possesion - Urgent Help Needed!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5795 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Right, I've now seen a copy of the Letter from D3 on behalf of NR. It says that they will not adjourn the hearing based upon the offer, however, at the hearing they are going to ask the court to suspend the order based upon the original offer being maintained. So I suppose that is a result :).

As I've said all along she is terrified of going to the court. She is now asking should she still go along. My advice to her has been absolutley yes she must go.

Will she still need to take all the defence documents as well? And also how long should the hearing last.

Many Thanks,

Boss-Man

Hi there, yes she must attend and take the statement and docs with her. They're not actually doing you a favour by telling you they will ask for a suspension, they know damn well that the judge will give that result anyway !!

Although NR say they will ask for a suspension, you need to be sure what length of time they ask for. They may ask for indefinite (and usually do if the debtor isn't in court!!) and you don't want that, otherwise they can fast track to court at any time in the future. She needs to be there to hear what is being agreed.

I can understand her nervousness about going to court - but it's not like the criminal or magistrats court - it will just be a private room with the judge, herself and the other side. Ring the court and ask if they have duty solicitors in attendance that day - or Citizens Advice reps - if she approaches them they will come into the room with her and give support. A lot of courts have these people there on days when there are repossession hearings - if she can find that out it may help her to feel more comfortable.

The hearing should last no more than 5 - 10 minutes, but courts have a habit of running late so although she should arrive in plenty of time for the hearing it will most probably not start at her appointed time - and could be delayed anything up to 30 mins (or more, at busy courts).

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

You rearly shouldnt worry too much, Ell-enn knows what she is talking about and has helped me greatly. I have just had 2 court hearing, one secured loan and one mortgage, and I must say that I too felt nervous at the first hearing, but it is held in a small private room with just a judge and the other sides rep. From my experience I would say that the judges appear to be more on our sides than that of the other side. On my second hearing I took their solicitor to one side before the hearing and explained what we wanted and she agreed before we even went into the hearing. This is only my experiences and others like ell-enn will advise you im sure whether this is good practice or not. But please remember I is not scary and the judge will do as much as possible too help you.

Regards

Chris

You rearly shouldnt worry too much, Ell-enn knows what she is talking about and has helped me greatly. I have just had 2 court hearing, one secured loan and one mortgage, and I must say that I too felt nervous at the first hearing, but it is held in a small private room with just a judge and the other sides rep. From my experience I would say that the judges appear to be more on our sides than that of the other side. On my second hearing I took their solicitor to one side before the hearing and explained what we wanted and she agreed before we even went into the hearing. This is only my experiences and others like ell-enn will advise you im sure whether this is good practice or not. But please remember I is not scary and the judge will do as much as possible too help you.

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris, that is good to know.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Sorry no update, I was out of the country whilst her hearing was held.

Basically, the Judge suspended the order until the arrears were cleared and agreed to be paid back at £100 per month.

The hearing was not as bad as she thought and the Judge was very nice. He asked her if she was sure she could afford £100 per month as he could set it at a lower figure if needed. He also said he was reluctant to grant an order at all but given the circumstances he really better had!

So as long as she keeps up the payment all should be well.

Thanks to everyone on here who helped, particularly Ell-enn.

Cheers

Boss-Man

That's great news - I'd been wondering what happened (although I knew she'd be ok;)) Tell her well done for being brave.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.