How do they keep track of addresses?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4789 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Exactly how does a credit reference agency keep track of where you are? (besides electoral roll)

What I mean is if I have 5 or 6 credit accounts and I notify just one or two (say one bank and my t-mobile) of my NEW address, will the other credit accounts become aware of this?

I'm curious as to how your entire credit file "moves" with you. Is it simply by the electoral roll?

• 1 month later...

Exactly how does a credit reference agency keep track of where you are? (besides electoral roll)

What I mean is if I have 5 or 6 credit accounts and I notify just one or two (say one bank and my t-mobile) of my NEW address, will the other credit accounts become aware of this?

As Hazzinho mentioned, when you tell the one bank and T-Mobile about your new address, they will amend their records and will update CRAs with a link to that new address, as well as changing your account address on the report. If you then apply for credit, the lender will be able to find your bank account and T-Mobile account history by searching for data in your name at that newly created address link. They would be able to find this anyway when you give your new address on the credit application.

The other companies will need you to tell them. Even if you didn't tell them, lenders would still be able to see these records because your previous address would have been linked to you when you opened/moved those accounts to that address. Make sure you tell all your lenders that you are moving, as having an active account at a previous address is not a good idea. The lender may send post to that address for you, creating a risk of someone using that information to commit fraud, or the lender may think the active account was actually opened by someone after you moved out, or that you are trying to hide records from them.

I hope this makes sense.

James

CRA employee