SCOTTISH POWER - Charging for 6 years of electricity and unauthorised direct debit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4803 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have tried desperately to sort this matter out direct with Scottish Power but have now reached a stalemate to the extent that I am seeking resolution via the Energy Ombudsman.

I am a business customer of Scottish Power for both gas and electric. When I took over the premises in 2007 I received 2 bills and when I queried this I had 2 gas meters in the property so one was cancelled. I also queried that I had not received an electricity bill but was told by SP that my monthly charges were for both electricity and gas so separate bills would not be sent. This carried on until a few months ago when I received a bill for £130k for outstanding electricity charges since 2004. I have been battling with SP ever since. They have apportioned the invoice from the date I took occupation to circa £80k. I have always maintained that the caller in 2007 confirmed that both my electric and gas charges were included on this bill and my monthly amounts covered both. Despite this I asked for a copy of the telephone recording but this is not available as the call was too old. The notes which SP have of the conversation are not accurate as they make no mention of the representative confirming the electric was included.

Things carried on and SP reduced the bill to circa £45k but insisting on immediate payment. n the meantime, I agreed to sign up to a new contract with SP for electricity charges and set up a new direct debit. I am still disputing the original invoice with them and have approached the Energy Ombudsman for help. I have asked SP for the 'deadlock letter' which the Ombudsman require but SP are delaying in sending this. Last week I received a telephone call from SP to say that they would be taking out the £45k within 2 days under my direct debit. I asked them not to but the only thing I could do to stop this happening was to cancel the direct debit at my bank. Once I notified SP that I had done this they told me that I was in breach of my new contract and have as a result terminated it and reverted to higher standard charges which are significantly higher. Also SP have now reissued my £45k invoice for the full amount of £80k.

Please help me with any guidance on what to do next.

we have scottish power onboard here so this should get resolved..

as for the unauthorised DD use the DD guarantee.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

in respect of the direct debit problem, I would suggest that you write to ScottishPower and point out that the new direct debit was set up specifically to deal with the new contract to do with all future energy charges whilst the alleged arrears is in dispute. You should point out to them that their proposal to activate your direct debit in respect of arrears was itself a breach of contract and that you will inform the energy ombudsman and if necessary reports about this. Say to them that you have no wish to go into arrears in respect of the new contract and so therefore you will be paying your bill by cheque. Tell them that you would prefer to pay by direct debit and that you are very happy to reinstate the direct debit but on the understanding that it applies to the new contract – as originally agreed.

I think you have to do put this all in writing to them, at the very least simply to make it a matter of record so that if things get nasty later on you can show that you explain your position completely and that they were in no doubt.

Are you doing any business with on the telephone? You should not do unless you record the calls. Nobody should do any business with any financial institution or any utility supplier or anyone else without recording the calls. Everyone regrets it if they don't. Don't count on the other side disclosing records of telephone conversations. It only happens very rarely. There is always some excuse as to why it is not possible.

So far as some specific answers to your question, I'm not entirely certain but I have the whole picture.

What kind of property is it that could incur a bill of £45,000 for four years? – Even though you may be for electricity and gas combined. What kind of property could it possibly be that would use £130,000 of energy in a seven year period?

When you took over the property, wasn't there a closing meter reading and ennobling meter reading? have you now been monitoringthe energy use carefully – and if so what do you say that the correct bill should be – and on what evidence?

I don't know if it is me or you that I find that we don't have all the details in your original post

Thanks for the quick reply. I will email SP regarding the direct debit problem.

I am making sure everything goes via email now as I want these to send to the Energy Ombudsman.

In reply to your questions the 45k wasnt for 4 years, the 77k was for 3.5 years at 167,000 kw/h p.a. The initial 45k was their initial offer to settle the matter in 10 days. The business is a bar/restaurant so cellar coolers and lighting is the biggest hit. The gas is also with them but is charged separately now. I have meter readings and am now monitoring electricity usage.

SP claim they have never invoiced for electricity at this property since 2004 when bar was opened so am struggling with how they have accurate meter readings. They have confirmed dates of when meter readings were took by one of their people. I dispute this also as the meter is in the cellar which you have to access behind the bar. I have not let anybody in to do this on a frequent basis and if they have been obtaining readings all this time then why not raise the non-invoicing years ago? Lots of things do not add up and I am struggling to get a clear picture myself.

I think that your should write letters as well as email.

This needs more formality. Send copies to your bank and also the ombudsman. It won't make a big difference but it will look more serious.

I think that it is very important to separate this disputed debt from your present payments. Take care that they get don't start applying present payments to the debt. Then you'll suddenly find that they will suddenly say that you are in. arrears on the present account as well as the old one.

Sent from my phone

Hi SGRC,

Sorry to hear about the problems that you have been having with ourselves.

I am more than happy to look in to this for you to see if we can find a way of resolving this matter between both parties.

If you wish to send me a PM with your account details I will investigate this matter for you and see what we can do.

Kind regards

Graeme @ ScottishPower

I've just finished a bout with the Energy Ombudsman against Southern Electric and a few things might apply.

If you've had meters removed, did you have them tested independently? Have you reached the final person in the chain who will issue a 'deadlock letter'?.

I assume you've a long list of whom you've dealt with, and an appropiate file to match. Add to this by making your annotations of phone calls, if not

transcripts.

You must have hard and fast proof of what you've said and indeed done. When you've done all this you can check this against SP's correspondence by requesting

all theirs under the Data Protection Act for a small fee, it may take upto 40 days, but THEY HAVE TO DO THIS. Ask for all correspondence, both internal and external to include annotations whereso made, also, copies of files held on their computer (include all bills) programs.

Think as though you were going to Court, you have the right of full disclosure. You might find out like me that you've been subject to a CRIMINAL RECORD check.

All said and done run it by a solicitor to plug the gaps, they already have a legal department who can conveniently make use of any lack of your evidence to their

favour! In my case they lied to the Ombudsman to win by running two contacts made by me into one, all so neat and tidy?

Hope this helps!

Graeme

Thank you for replying but I cannot PM you as I do not have enough posts. My account number is ....... Thank you

edit please do not post pers info.............. dx - siteteam

Graeme from Scottish Power

I cannot give you my account number as this site edits it and I do not have enough posts to send you a PM. How else can I get this info to you so you can deal with my complaint?

Thanks

there are no posts limits on pm.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...