6 week jsa review?

wishface
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4810 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been claiming for 6 weeks and signed on this morning with a proper jobsworth. At the end of the interview he produced an appointmnet card and proceeded to book me in to see the person who handled my initial interview (the one you make after starting the claim). I don't really understand what he was going but he's bascially booked me in for the appointment I would normally have (9am next fortnight) to see that specific person. I tried to clarify what the point of all this was as that's when I sign on anyway. Is there some new process here, a 6 week review?

Yes, you have regular "Back to Work" interviews with a Client advisor. I thought the 1st was after 3 months but I'm either wrong or it has changed ? You also have one at 6 months, 12 months etc:. Normally all that happens is your Jobseekers Agreement is updated and the advisor will look at ways to help you back into work. It's nothing to be concerned about, if the appointment is on the same day you would normally sign on the Client advisor will do that.

This isn't a back to work interview according tot he person that signed me on as I asked him if this was something different than the usual signing and he said no. Then proceeded to talk as if it was which is why i questioned it. I got nowhere talking to the guy and so just left (i'm certainoy not hanging around that place unless i have to). I know about back to work interviews, I just don't understand why they are now happening at 6 weeks, if that's what this is supposed to be.

It has been edited in accordance with the forum rules.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Yes, you have regular "Back to Work" interviews with a Client advisor. I thought the 1st was after 3 months but I'm either wrong or it has changed ?

I'm at this stage now. I had a check on Thursday to see if my JSA agreement was still correct. It was amended slightly and that was it. They're meant to be doing away with the 6 weekly signing on now, which would normally happen after 13 weeks. I've been told that I don't have to do the 6 weekly signing on because my advisor said that he "doesn't think I'm one of these who does nothing and needs extra checks". He's happy with what I currently do each week.

I don't think so, but you should check with the Jobcentre if you're in any doubt. Non-attendance means sanctions, which usually means hunger. Be certain mate.

A thread with some info on it:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?300293-My-advice-on-dealing-with-JobCentre-spying-on-our-Job-searching/page3

there are loads of sites that can give you a better idea of the rules. Look around on google.

And good luck. Like you say, 'I'm not hanging around that place unless I have to' lol.

Where i work we recently had a new system in place where 4 weeks after attending your New Claim Interview you would be invited to meet with an adviser to discuss your claim further. Then between weeks 6 and 9 you wuld be invited to a back to work group session (which is now obsolete from this coming Monday) and then you would be required to attend a 13 week review with your adviser where you would be placed on weekly signing for a 6 week period. Then again another appointment at 26 weeks where you woul be again required to attend for a further 6 weekly signings and ten at 52 weeks you would be referred to an outside provider to help with more intensive jobsearching (athough please excuse me if I laugh out loud as they are as much use as a chocolate fireguard according to reports back from customers).

So yes a 6 week appointment could be just a catch up with your adviser. It is also you opportunity to find out what new provisions are in place following Monday for training courses provide by the new providers/colleges. These appointments are mandatory still so as posted above sanctions could be imposed if you fail to attend.

I don't think this appointment is to call you in for weekly signing yet but just to a general appointment to see how your jobsearch is going and a chance to discuss other things that you may not have been told at your New Claim appointment as 40 minutes really isn't long enough to go through everything.

Wishface, none of us think you'll have to go in weekly, it's probably just a session to go over your agreememnt (JSAg) and get you to do more betwen signings. Thats why I posted info about the JSAg in that link. In case you're having trouble finding it I've cut and pasted some stuff below:

With regard to the JSAg, be very careful what you agree to. Talk to your advisors at length about what you can and cannot do. Do not ever be in a rush to do this - always take your time. Usually they will know very little of the Directives and the Regulations, which together form the framework under which they operate. Having a knowledge of these can help you no end. Make sure you do some reading on the relevent rules.

What you agree to at this meeting forms the terms of your contract with the jobcentre. Like any contract, it is legally binding. If you do not adhere to this contract then you will be sanctioned and lose entitlement. And that often means hunger, which is a very real punishment indeed.

An example would be this:

Searching for jobs online on Directgov, at home, is equally as valid as going in to the jobcentre to check the jobpoints. They have the same jobs on the same systems. There is no reason you should attend the jobcentre other than for appointments (which you do always need to keep).

This same rule applies to jobs pages in papers and periodicals - if you have net access at home, and they have a website, then you have no need to go out and buy the paper.

Read up on what is included in JSA payments. They cannot ask you to do anything not provided for. As an example do not travel over say 90 miles to look for work - unless you really want to - only local transport is included in JSA.

This could be a very funny test though; can anyone here tell me what JSA payments include? Can anyone in the jobcentre tell you?

There is a lot more to it. And they do not (in my experience) tell you this, but there are many negotiable things in the JSAg. These include hours available for work, type of work you are willing to do, minimum wage you will consider, and a whole lot more. You need to be sure about what you can and cannot do if you wish to challenge them on anything at all, otherwise it can get very messy for you indeed. Go wild on google. Read the rules before you do anything. You have been warned...

Some links that offer insight into the JSAg:

http://www.newdealscandal.co.uk/flexiblenewdeal/2009/07/19/how-to-negotiate-a-jobseekers-agreement/

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3051022

http://www.jobseekersadvice.com/forum2/index.php

http://www.mediahub.co.uk/erc/ercwebsite/oldsite/tuc/redundancy/fs2d.html

The Jobseekers law:

http://www.newdealscandal.co.uk/flexiblenewdeal/2009/07/17/jobseekers-act-1995-as-amended/?replytocom=334

And some light reading to make you think:

http://www.newdealscandal.co.uk/flexiblenewdeal/2009/07/21/1-2-billion-dwp-fraud-dwp-underspend-claimants-struggle/

Hope that helps.

From the 'dead' link:

So you are unemployed, about to make a claim for Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) or have made a new claim for Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) however not attended an New Jobseeker Interview (NJI) yet. This article explains what you need to know about claiming Jobseekers Allowance.

You wouldn’t have thought that the Jobseekers Agreement (JSAg) would be a crutial element to claiming. The problem is most claimants see it as simply a pathetic agreement which is created just as procedure, whereas the truth is the Jobseekers Agreement is in effect, within a limited capacity, your power to create a law to your specification of how some elements of the Jobseekers Act 1995 (as amended) are implemented and used.

The Jobseekers Agreement (JSAg) has two main uses:- The first is to trap the typical naive Jobseeker in to being required to apply for more widespread jobs than otherwise could be argued as reasonable. As the average jobseeker doesn’t realise the full impact of the Jobseekers Agreement they will go along with whatever the Employment Officer (EO) suggests, they then sign and it becomes a large element of the rules for receiving Jobseekers Allowance. The second reason is for the Jobseekers Agreement to be used for enforcement – or should I say to decide about applying sanctions or refusing later benefit claims.

You may also hear the Jobseekers Agreement (JSAg) being an agreement you negotiate, where you pledge what you will do weekly to find work, what your responsibilities are, your availability and what restrictions you have.

Was it just me? ..Or did I hear the word negotiate mentioned? Read on… Visit the following link for a guide in playing the system at its own game (all legal):

From the 'dead' link:

So you are unemployed, about to make a claim for Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) or have made a new claim for Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) however not attended an New Jobseeker Interview (NJI) yet. This article explains what you need to know about claiming Jobseekers Allowance.

You wouldn’t have thought that the Jobseekers Agreement (JSAg) would be a crutial element to claiming. The problem is most claimants see it as simply a pathetic agreement which is created just as procedure, whereas the truth is the Jobseekers Agreement is in effect, within a limited capacity, your power to create a law to your specification of how some elements of the Jobseekers Act 1995 (as amended) are implemented and used.

The Jobseekers Agreement (JSAg) has two main uses:- The first is to trap the typical naive Jobseeker in to being required to apply for more widespread jobs than otherwise could be argued as reasonable. As the average jobseeker doesn’t realise the full impact of the Jobseekers Agreement they will go along with whatever the Employment Officer (EO) suggests, they then sign and it becomes a large element of the rules for receiving Jobseekers Allowance. The second reason is for the Jobseekers Agreement to be used for enforcement – or should I say to decide about applying sanctions or refusing later benefit claims.

You may also hear the Jobseekers Agreement (JSAg) being an agreement you negotiate, where you pledge what you will do weekly to find work, what your responsibilities are, your availability and what restrictions you have.

Was it just me? ..Or did I hear the word negotiate mentioned? Read on… Visit the following link for a guide in playing the system at its own game (all legal):

The link off of that site is dead.

They all work for me. And scumhole or not, there is useful information on there.

If you research those articles, especially the JSA Act, then it will tell you everything.

Sorry I'm still completely unsure what you are actually trying to say. There's no secret knowledge here. What do you think is going to happen if you start trying to quote the jobseekers act to the adviser? They hold the keys. It doesn't matter if they are actually wrong because they can just decide to decline your request. They have the power. Sure you can complain after the fact, but what are you going to do during the interview to force them to listen? Sit there until closing time? Hold them hostage? All that will happen is you'll get your card marked as a troublemaker and will probably make more trouble for yourself in the future.

Sorry I'm still completely unsure what you are actually trying to say. There's no secret knowledge here. What do you think is going to happen if you start trying to quote the jobseekers act to the adviser? They hold the keys. It doesn't matter if they are actually wrong because they can just decide to decline your request. They have the power. Sure you can complain after the fact, but what are you going to do during the interview to force them to listen? Sit there until closing time? Hold them hostage? All that will happen is you'll get your card marked as a troublemaker and will probably make more trouble for yourself in the future.

I think what they're saying is, if you know the law, then that shouldn't end up happening? It's when people agree to it all they seem to end up in more trouble?

Can see what Wishface is getting at to be honest.

I think what they're saying is, if you know the law, then that shouldn't end up happening? It's when people agree to it all they seem to end up in more trouble?

Can see what Wishface is getting at to be honest.

What i'm saying is that if you try to negotiate a new JSA with an adviser who refuses what you say what are you going to do? Threaten them with legal action? Not really practical is it.

What i'm saying is that if you try to negotiate a new JSA with an adviser who refuses what you say what are you going to do? Threaten them with legal action? Not really practical is it.

Ooops sorry, I was meaning Hennessy13 lol *slaps head*

Ask for their manager. The law governs their actions, too, and if you ask for something provided for under thier regulations then they can see it in black and white on their computer system.

It should take no more than an hour, and you will have a much easier time dealing with them as a consequence - for the duration of your claim.

Or just don't bother.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

Im still none the wiser as to why after 6 weeks i've been given this appointment. I would also like to know what the official rules are, which noone that runs this site seems to know. All I have is speculation. It's no good asking to speak to managers because you just end up with the same situation. All that will happen is that you will be marked as a trouble maker, no matter if you are right or wrong. What i need to know is what are the policies here, governing this appointment. Not speculation about this or that. Thank you.

Where i work we recently had a new system in place where 4 weeks after attending your New Claim Interview you would be invited to meet with an adviser to discuss your claim further. Then between weeks 6 and 9 you wuld be invited to a back to work group session (which is now obsolete from this coming Monday) and then you would be required to attend a 13 week review with your adviser where you would be placed on weekly signing for a 6 week period. Then again another appointment at 26 weeks where you woul be again required to attend for a further 6 weekly signings and ten at 52 weeks you would be referred to an outside provider to help with more intensive jobsearching (athough please excuse me if I laugh out loud as they are as much use as a chocolate fireguard according to reports back from customers).

So yes a 6 week appointment could be just a catch up with your adviser. It is also you opportunity to find out what new provisions are in place following Monday for training courses provide by the new providers/colleges. These appointments are mandatory still so as posted above sanctions could be imposed if you fail to attend.

Can you show me the specific rules regarding this? THere seems to be a lot of speculation regarding this. Obsolete or not I do NOT like the idea of being forced into a group. I don't do groups due to stress.

One of the reasons these posts are speculative is the fluid nature of the JSAg. Each claimants agreement changes the application of the law for that individual to a certain extent, as posted above. This makes it difficult to say exactly what they want from you at this time. It could be a quick 'how are you doing?' or it could be something more. The guidance too is exactly that. It is not set in stone how each claimant progresses and within certain limits the advisor has some discretion.

Again, the best way to find out is to ask them what it involves. One phone call should tell you what it is about.

They do have the power to make an appointment for you whenever it suits them. And you must attend these.

The 'specific rules' regarding this will be included in the Act:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1995/18/contents

http://www.newdealscandal.co.uk/flexiblenewdeal/2009/07/17/jobseekers-act-1995-as-amended/

Please let us know whatever you find out about this appointment, and anything that happens in it. I'll keep an eye on this and see if I can offer any more concrete help.