opps i dropped my laptop

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4830 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

under SOGA there is no need for any additional cover - whatever happens = it is a rip-off.

dx

Hi Dx,

I bought a laptop from currys 6 months ago, but i dropped it last week and broke the screen. I didn't buy the additional cover because , as you say, its a rip-off. When i took it back to currys they wanted to charge me £230 to repair it!!! It quoted SOGA but they said accidental damage was not covered under SOGA!!!!! They said if i had took the additional cover they would have recovered all my data and fixed the laptop free of charge. I think it may be covered under my house insurance but that means i loose my no claims and have to pay a £200 excess anyway.

Now im left with a broken laptop that they won't repair. How can i get them to repair it??

sadly you shouldn't of said you dropped it

that is the only time when extra stuff comes into its own..

though i'm suprised they offered data recovery, they usually don't

you can ofcourse so the screen yourself [see ebay] quite easy to do and there are guides on the net on how to change too.

also as for the data, get an external usb cradle for the lappy hdd about £20 from maplins or alike

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

sadly you shouldn't of said you dropped it

that is the only time when extra stuff comes into its own..

though i'm suprised they offered data recovery, they usually don't

you can ofcourse so the screen yourself [see ebay] quite easy to do and there are guides on the net on how to change too.

also as for the data, get an external usb cradle for the lappy hdd about £20 from maplins or alike

dx

Hi dx,

I didn't actually say that i had dropped it, they just point blank told me that a cracked screen and the broken casing were not covered under warranty. I'm a teacher in primary school and i wouldn't have the faintest idea about repairing laptops or recovering my data. Ebay makes me nervious as my sister bought something from there. She paid and it never even got delivered!! Aparently the guy had done a runner with her money.

I don't have another PC so I'm going to have to decide about getting it repaired or getting another. Either way it is a big expense that i don't need right now.

TBH I wish i had taken the extra warranty thing now.

i doubt that would actuallyof helped you

they always tend to find some way of wriggling out of repairing it or doingwhat you ask.

are there no local repair shops like in your local paper

or someone at work or that knows someone that does laptop?

obv i cant see the case damage, but if its just a crack or chip etc then you could live with that

the screen change could be about £25 to fit it, plus cost of the part.

well use a search engine then to finf the price of a replacement LCD

that should give you a rough guide to the cost

you wont need data recovery as such

thoufg its diff to say if there is / is not any mother board damage?

does the lappy appear to work ok bar the cracked screen?

i'd do it but i dont know where you are.

i'm gonna make these posts a new thread in the PC section.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Does your primary school have a friendly techie that you can show it to? They'd be in the best position to advise you about repairing it or replacing it. If they think a new one is in order, ask them what type of hard drive your broken one has (sata or pata) then go to amazon and search for "IOMAX 2.5 sata/pata (whichever) Enclosure) and you should find an enclosure for around £7.00 Then it's a simple job for you or a techie to remove the hard drive and plug it in to this and make a very nice USB storage, with all your old files on, and also will be useful as a backup drive for your new laptop.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

The best advice you already have I'm afraid. My only contribution would be to say that not all ebay sellers are ripoff merchants. In fact, each member has a rating given by other buyers and sellers alike. The nearer to 100%, the better their reputation. I have been one of the many fortunate ones and have bought a multitude of things from different sellers. I have never (touch wood) had a problem.

Remember.....No Likey.....No Lighty:madgrin:

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Hi DX, I work as an independent IT Engineer and repair this type of problem all the time. Your laptop could still be usable as long as nothing other than the Screen has been damaged. You need to find an external Monitor to plug in to your Laptop or your TV might work. This will allow you to check if your Laptop still works and is easy to do, if you want to know more details let me know. Was it running when you dropped it? If it was off at the time your Data should be fine as the hard drive locks (parks it's heads) when it turns off. Maybe you could claim on your house Insurance but that depends on your policy I guess.

Fandaz

quite right too

but as the OP has not posted back

we'll never know...

dx

and they

Nat west offer free cover forr accidental damage and extended warranty on their gold account. It is the only account that I know that does this and has been incredible. Recommend you try this in future

For now, your only hope is the frendly techie that works with u :-

Edited by the_shadow