Large supermarket - civil recovery/RLP

Guest murraymint56
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4834 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest murraymint56

Hi - would very much appreciate some advice. I was doing my normal weekly shop in my local supermarket this morning and as per usual visited the magazine aisle were I picked up 3 magazines that I commonly buy. The magazines not covered in plastic I stuck under my handbag at the front of the trolley (as I do every week) as experience has shown that these can easily get torn at the bottom of the trolley. I did the rest of my shopping, paid for the goods and on leaving the store was apprehended by a junior manager in the store saying that she had reason to believe that I was leaving the store with goods that I had not paid for. I initially denied this (not being aware of the fact) and then as she escourted me to the managers offices I realised that my magazes totally £8 were lying under my bag. I explained the situation and was then read the Notice of Intended Civil Recovery and provided my name, address, phone number and national insurance number. Meanwhile the manager went and produced a receipt for the two items in question and explained that they would be bringing civil recovery proceedings against me. I initially calmly explainined the mistake, but as the proceedings were read out against me, I became quite upset and 4 hours on am still feeling sick to my stomach.

The questions I have that I need answers for are as follows:

1) No police were involved and I have not admited to any wrong doing - am I likely to be charged?

2) Should I contact the store and argue my case further to try and get the civil proceedings revoked?

3) If I pay the civil recovery amount (when it comes through) - does this get reflected on my criminal record or indeed on any search an employer may conduct.

4) Is paying the civil recovery amount seen as an admission of guilt - I am maintaining my innocence in this matter.

5) Will a civil recovery be picked up on a visa appliation for the US/Canada - I am moving there in 6 months time.

I am sorry for the questions but I am genuinely feeling very sick and confused. Any help or answers to my questions if you have experienced something similar would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Guest murraymint56

Hi - would very much appreciate some advice. I was doing my normal weekly shop in my local supermarket this morning and as per usual visited the magazine aisle were I picked up 3 magazines that I commonly buy. The magazines not covered in plastic I stuck under my handbag at the front of the trolley (as I do every week) as experience has shown that these can easily get torn at the bottom of the trolley. I did the rest of my shopping, paid for the goods and on leaving the store was apprehended by a junior manager in the store saying that she had reason to believe that I was leaving the store with goods that I had not paid for. I initially denied this (not being aware of the fact) and then as she escourted me to the managers offices I realised that my magazes totally £8 were lying under my bag. I explained the situation and was then read the Notice of Intended Civil Recovery and provided my name, address, phone number and national insurance number. Meanwhile the manager went and produced a receipt for the two items in question and explained that they would be bringing civil recovery proceedings against me. I initially calmly explainined the mistake, but as the proceedings were read out against me, I became quite upset and 4 hours on am still feeling sick to my stomach.

1) No police were involved and I have not admited to any wrong doing - am I likely to be charged?

2) Should I contact the store and argue my case further to try and get the civil proceedings revoked?

3) If I pay the civil recovery amount (when it comes through) - does this get reflected on my criminal record or indeed on any search an employer may conduct.

4) Is paying the civil recovery amount seen as an admission of guilt - I am maintaining my innocence in this matter.

5) Will a civil recovery be picked up on a visa appliation for the US/Canada - I am moving there in 6 months time.

I am sorry for the questions but I am genuinely feeling very sick and confused. Any help or answers to my questions if you have experienced something similar would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Answers to your questions:

1. No

2. No

3. Civil recovery does not show on any official record. One civil recovery company (RLP) claims to mantain a database of 'dihonest' people, but we are not aware of any employer using it.

4. No

5. No - civil recovery is no more than a form of speculative invoicing - it has no official status.

I urge you to read more about civil recovery in this forum - especially the CAB reports which are stickied. You will see that you have nothing to fear.

Guest murraymint56

Scarlet Pimpernel - thank you ever so much for your response. I have been literally going out of my mind with worry. I feel like I have read just about everything related to RLP/civil recovery on here over the past 5 hours however I guess what I am scared of is - although I was not charged at the time - and I didn't admit guilt (being wholly innocent) that somehow the police get involved at a later date.

I think that I understand from what you are saying that if police were not involved at the time, and the manager of the store said that they were not going to be involved - that no charge is going to be brought against me. I work in a fairly sensitive job - and even one sniff of this matter would not go in my favour.

I will deal with the RLP notice as and when I receive it - probably paying it to be honest to make this thing go away - including such words to the effect that I am not admitting any guilt and that they cannot hold personnal information about me.

Thanks once again - I still can't quite believe this has happened and really empathise with anyone else who has had a similar experience.

Telling RLP not to process data will make no difference, and nor will paying them.

The fact is that you did not commit a crime; you were neither arrested, charged nor convicted - in other words, you are innocent. You do not say what happened to the magazines - but if they were returned to the store or you paid for them then you do not owe the store anything. Don't be fooled by RLP's drivel about damages, or costs incurred, because the truth is that most of what their victims pay is retained by them.

If you feel the need to do anything with a letter from RLP, consider writing a letter rejecting their claim and stating that you are innocent of any crime. Then ignore them, especially if you are moving abroad.

1) No police were involved and I have not admited to any wrong doing - am I likely to be charged? - no

2) Should I contact the store and argue my case further to try and get the civil proceedings revoked? - no

3) If I pay the civil recovery amount (when it comes through) - does this get reflected on my criminal record or indeed on any search an employer may conduct. - no

4) Is paying the civil recovery amount seen as an admission of guilt - I am maintaining my innocence in this matter. - do not pay it

5) Will a civil recovery be picked up on a visa appliation for the US/Canada - I am moving there in 6 months time. - no

Thanks.

i would advise reading a few threads in this forum

the RLP speculative invoice is NOT a fine - it has NO LEGAL standing, no RLP has ever taken anyone to court for non payment.

you are under NO legal obl to pay it nor ack their tactics of getting money out of you

pers i'd totally ignore them.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...