COMET *washer just over one month old*

831badger
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4836 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We purchased an indesit washer for use in father in laws small dry cleaner business. The purchase was from COmet and we told them that it was to be delivered to the shop and they agreed to install it. This was the latter part of January 2011.

The washing machine has stopped working and the engineer came out. He stated it needed about £150 of repairs and that the warranty would not cover it as it was being used in a shop.

Comet knew this from the start, they fitted it and did not ask us to sign any disclaimer about it being used in the dry cleaning shop.

Where do we stand legally as we have a one month old none working washing machine that allegedly has no warranty?

Hi,

I do not see what difference it makes as to where it is used, at the end of the day the product is faulty.

I would telephone Indesit/Hotpoint and ask them if they would normally cover it under their guarantee had it have been purchased else where. I know they have some sort of deal with Comet and so you have to have all repairs under the first years guarantee done by comet, but is it just another cop out by Comet??

If it needed so much money spent in repairs it sounds like it was faulty to start with.

Have you tried using the sale of goods act, it has not worked for me but you could give it a go.

I'd be interested in knowing the outcome of this.

It is my understanding that domestic use machines (such as those sold by Comet/Currys etc..) are just for that. Domestic use only and do not have a commercial use warranty. The Sale of Goods Act really does not apply here since it states (in very simple terms) an appliance should be fit for purpose - the purpose of this machine is domestic use and the handbook will state this. If it used in a contrary manner then really there is little comeback for the consumer.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but I think you will find this is the case.

Commercial use - as far as a warranty is concerned - would be installed and used in a commercial premises, regardless of the amount of use.