Ikea Mattress

flyingguy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4755 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I bought a mattress from Ikea about 3 years ago, it cost about £250 and apparently their mattresses come with a 25 year guarantee. Now the mattress has totally lost it's shape and is terrible. I contacted Ikea who said they would be unable to action anything without proof of purchase. The problem is I stupidly didn't keep the receipt, and I've no idea which card I used to pay for it as I've had multiple credit cards over the years. I do know the exact date I purchased it as it was the same day I moved into a property. Whilst I realise that I should have the proof, what the manager told me is that they will look up the date on the system to find my transaction. Surely if they are able to do that, then they could look up the date and search for the transaction using the stock number (I used to work in retail and I know the systems can do that). Do I have any legs to stand on? Other than calling up every single one of my credit card companies and asking them to send me statements from that dates (online statements don't go back that far) I really don't have any way of proving I bought it. It just seems as though they are being difficult unecessarily, esepcially as it's clearly less than 25 years old as they were not making them that long ago! Sorry for the ramble I hope someone can offer some insight, for the sake of my back if anything!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

You have to remember that having a receipt (proof of purchase) for returning an item is a legal requirement, not just an IKEA one.

As for knowing which card you used, one suspects they need this info to look through the transactions on that day- and how many transactions does someone like IKEA have in one day?

If your receipt is your guarentee and you haven't kept said receipt, there's no one else to blame really. For all IKEA knows you could have bought that mattress at some car boot sale. I'm not suggesting for a second that that is the case but I'm just trying to point out what could be said if we're talking about having any legs to stand on. :???:

Just hate every DCA out there

A search using a stock number wouldn't be any good because they could have sold 100 mattresses of the same model and size on the same day, and all the stock numbers would have been the same. And if you don't know the exact date then they could have to search through 1000's of transactions for the same stock number. Obviously it isn't their responsibility to do this if you didn't keep your receipt or credit card statements.

The 25 year guarantee is full of get out clauses, so before you spend a lot of time and effort on this you need to check to see that you actually qualify for the guarantee.

I'm in the bed industry, and you wouldn't believe the number of mattresses sold in continental sizes because the buyers were so fed up with their Ikea mattresses that they didn't even bother trying to get a replacement under their guarantee.

• 3 weeks later...
hm... such happen not only with ikea but with retailers too

It's not like me to defend Ikea, but in this case they have done nothing wrong, as they can't work miracles.

The op will have to either go to their customer services with his wide selection of credit cards. Or do what many people do and buy a replacement elswhere.

• 1 month later...

Someone else on moneysaving expert describes Ikea as 'militant' on this front and also says 'If you bought the item within the last 3 months and paid via credit or debit card and you take a copy of your statement with the entry on it then yes you will get a refund. However if it was outside 3 months then they won't.'

Does seem as though cut your losses here unfortunately..