CSA Questions

afcwben
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4797 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife has decided to take me to CSA. I don’t have a problem with this as it is her right. I have always bought my kids clothes given them money and if she wants to take them on holiday I have even paid for them.

My question is now she is doing this does that mean any money I give to my children to pay for things they need do not count against the eventual amount I am expected to pay.

From what I understand the amount is 10% of my income up to when the child reaches 19 and they are in full time education. The education part is what confuses me one of my children is almost 18 and dies not go to college, so how can he be classed as being in full time education.

Finally, I currently pay all of the mortgage can I ask her to pay towards this, she is in full time employment and earns approximately £22,000 per annum and receives tax credits.

Grateful for any guidance.

Thanks

Ok

this happened to me

I was paying £400 per month

but was off work 12 weeks

she kicked off went to csa

as my earnings were low self employed my new payment £244 per month totally anarchy

so

1. If ur paye they deduct straight from earnings 1 child 15%

2 20%

2.yes they take ur mortgage payments into account if ur paying maintenance and mortgage

3. This is the unfair bit they make no allowance what u pay on kids hols food clothes treats anything

4. They don't care if u can't afford to pay ur own bills rent etc

my advice go self employed otherwise they will take from u

for the rest of ur lives or until ur kids are 16 or 18 if in adult education

please believe me they are set up for the patent with care

You'll need to stop buying them clothes etc, that's what the maintenance will be for. I dont ask my ex for anything, he pays 270 a month for 2 teens. Through the CSA straight out his wages. In theory that's his bit done isn't it.

If you live with someoen they will want to know her income too. My ex refused to give his girlfriends details, I didn't push it because I dont believe she should have to pay for our kids.

The fact your ex works should be taken into account really, although it probably depends what she earns.

I know when my sister struggled to get a bean out of her ex due to him earning very little, when one of the girls went to live with the dad for about a year, my sis had to pay him maintenance because her & her hubby worked full time!

So it's not ALWAYS in favour of the main parent, but does seem to be the majority of the time.

You may find it ends up that you will be paying less than you did before on the things you said you already pay for!

My partner doesn't have to give csa any £ info it doesn't work that way anymore

it's solely the NRP

and yes ur correct sometimes it works the other way but 9/10 it's The PWR who gets the csa money

the system is unfair as if someone earns 400 per week what gives the csa the right to take £80 a week in these tough times?????????

My partner doesn't have to give csa any £ info it doesn't work that way anymore

it's solely the NRP

and yes ur correct sometimes it works the other way but 9/10 it's The PWR who gets the csa money

the system is unfair as if someone earns 400 per week what gives the csa the right to take £80 a week in these tough times?????????

That's good that your partner doesn't have to give any info, that's how it should always have been!

What gives them the right to take 80 out of 400? Well, if the parent with care of the children is better off than the absent one, then I think it's tight, yes. BUT if the parent with care is on a low wage also then yes it's fair. Otherwise who will pay for these children?

I also sometimes think it could also depend on who ended the relationship. But that'll never happen, would be too complex to police. I remember mentioning money to my ex once years ago, that was when I didn't see any of it anyway as I was on income support & we didn't even see a tenner of it back then, he kicked off & said 'well you wanted out! I would have been happy here forever!"

Well, yes, deep down I know he did have a bit of a point, & it wasn't as if he done anything wrong, I just fell out of love with him. But anyway, you didn't come on here to hear other peoples stories.

Would be interested to hear how it goes for you. If for example they do take that much per week off you, was you not spending that much with the old arrangement? Holidays aren't cheap, & I know my 2 cost more than 65 a week to bring up, probably is double that, especially when they are teens! which works out fair I guess.

I wasn't aware that you still had to pay maintenance for an 18 year old that isn't in further education though?

This is a new case thus will be assessed under the current system. How much will depend on a variety of circumstances. There is no "one" answer to give based on the information you have posted.

There is the basic rate for those with an income over £200 per week. This is paid at 15% of net weekly income for one child, 20% for two and 25% for three or more.

The reduced rate if your income is more than £100 but less than £200 per week is calculated at £5 per week plus aq percentage of your income in excess of £100 per week. What that percentage will be will depend on how many children support is paid for and how much your income is not counting the first £100 per week.

The flat rate if income is £5 - £100 per week is £5 per week child support, regardless of how many children there are.

Nil rate if income is less than £5 per week, is as the name suggests £0.

The CSA will do the calculation and give her the option of a private arrangement where you pay her direct. If she doesn't want to do this, they will give you options on how to pay. You can choose direct debit or a DEO. They will not attach a DEO unless you agree to it or unless you fail to pay or build up arrears.

They can take into consideration money that you give for the children's welfare, as listed below if the resident parent agrees to you giving them the money for one of the following:

• to pay a mortgage or loan which is taken out to buy or pay for essential repairs or improvement to the home where the child lives, and which is secured on that home

• to pay rent or council tax for the home where the child lives

• to pay gas, water or electricity charges for the home where the child lives, or

• to make essential repairs to the heating system or fabric of the home where the child lives

They can also take into account expenses in excess of £10 a week (or £15 a week if your income is over £200 per week) you have for:

• keeping in contact with your children

• supporting children who live with you who have disabilities or a long-term illness
  • paying back a debt that you took on before you separated from the parent with care, and the debt was for the benefit of the family or a member of the family. This does not include credit card or store card debts.
  • paying boarding-school fees for children who you pay child maintenance for (
  • making payments on a mortgage, loan or insurance policy to pay off a mortgage or loan on the home that you and the parent with care used to share. The parent with care and the children must still live in the house and you must have no legal interest in it.

They can also reduce your child support if your child(ren) stay with you overnight regularly. If the child you have aged over 16 does not attend school, college or any other further education then you will not have to pay child support for that child. Child support stops at 16 unless the child goes into full time education where it can continue until the child is 19 - so long as they remain in that full time education.

There is a calculator here you can use to get an idea of how much your child support will be. You might also want to have a read of the attached leaflets for more information. Hope this is helpful.

CSA info booklet.pdf

CSA - how it's worked out.pdf

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Very factual

but alas onesided

I think the original poster was asking for factual information, and that's not really a matter of "sides". The law is what it is.

Should the law be changed? Perhaps. Is there a problem with the CSA as currently constituted? I believe so. That should be another thread, though, and it's a discussion I'd be interested in having. If you want to start another thread, I'll be there.

But here, the OP simply asked what to expect, and Erika provided a factual answer. I see no reason to complain.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I am in the initial process after my seperated partner started the CSA ball rolling, they have asked for copy payslips which is not a problem. My issue is at the moment I pay the mortgage on the house where she lives with two of my children. As the rates go up I will be be paying more and more and it will end up that I will be unable to continue the CSA payments as I will have no money what would happen then. Do the CSA take any of this into account. Also one of my sons will be going into residential education, he will be living at the place of education and coming home on rare occassions, this is paid for by the state should I therefore pay CSA to the school or does she still get it?

Thanks

They may take the mortgage payments into account, yes as the children still live there. Can't say by how much as CSA payments can be varied so much and by so many different things. If you are assessed to pay a certain amount and you don't pay, the leaflet attached explains what can happen.

If your son is in full time education and under 19, CSA is still payable to his mother, unless he lives in Scotland and chooses to apply to the CSA himself. But his mother would have to give up her application for him.

CSA Enforcement.pdf

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

Another quick question, thanks to all who have helped in this. From what I understand the mortgage I am paying on the house my wife lives in with my kids will not be considered. I am also paying an overpayment in tax credits incurred jointly should that be taken into account, and we have a mortgage on another home which neither of us live in is this allowable.

thanks for any help

They cannot make a non resident parent's partner responsible for paying it. But CSA calculations are not just based on earnings, it takes into account other forms of income, so if he has a form of income other than earnings he may still have to pay support.

He also needs to inform the CSA that he is no longer working (if he'd not already done so). This will prompt a new assessment, and if there is no other form of income, he will be on a nil rate.

• 3 weeks later...

CSA have calculated how much I should pay my ex, this I am doing, however she refuses to pay for my sons transport to college, so I have to pay that on top. Can I do anything about this?

It looks like it may be beneficial to reduce my earnings to below £200 per week. CSA have done the calculations and I am now paying the amount they have requested. however, she is refusing to pass any money on to the kids to pay for transport to college etc so I am still paying for that. Rang CSA about it and they said there is nothing I can do and should seek legal advice. I said I thought you were the Child Support Agency not the Money grabbing ex wife Agency, they did not see the funny side of that.

• 5 weeks later...

any extra money you spend on the kids does not count towards payment, Its good will gesture on your part

child in fulltime education (you pay) if working as well as study. (you dont pay)

a child in fulltime education can still receive money from you until 20 years old

people think its 18..

deductions can reach a maximum of 25% of earnings.

The CSA will not take into account bills, rent, morgage, ect.

any extra money you spend on the kids does not count towards payment, Its good will gesture on your part

child in fulltime education (you pay) if working as well as study. (you dont pay)

a child in fulltime education can still receive money from you until 20 years old

people think its 18..

deductions can reach a maximum of 25% of earnings.

The CSA will not take into account bills, rent, morgage, ect.

you are right, I am paying money monthly to my ex and still paying everything else for my kids. Every time kids ask her for a tenner for a hair cut she refuses saying she has no money. She has just bought a brand new car, with all benefits and what I pay she clears £2,500 per month, I also pay the entire mortgage on the house, it is extremely unfair, the system is broken.

you could always pay the kids direct, there is nothing she could do about this

just get the kids to write a receipt.

If the kids do get a job as well as college, you wont pay.

a friend of mine rang the CSA, the reply was, well you should have used protection.

I cant understand people like that. my ex pays quite a bit to csa that as I am disabled only in the last couple of years has been given direct to us. My kids take pleasure telling their dad where his money went as a result he has said it is a pleasure to support them and encourages them to stay in education as long as possible, so who was originally someone i considered a risk to my children has grown up and turned into a father my kids although not seen him till last year love dearly. I feel it is important to explain to the kids where this money comes from so they can realise he earns it for them xx

you could always pay the kids direct, there is nothing she could do about this

just get the kids to write a receipt.

If the kids do get a job as well as college, you wont pay.

a friend of mine rang the CSA, the reply was, well you should have used protection.

Unfortunately it does not work like that I could give my kids a thousand pounds a week and get a receipt, but CSA will ignore this, it is what I pay to my ex that matters and if she does not pass it on to the kids then its not the CSA's problem