Debt Collection Agencies - a question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4856 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

With regard to the wage overpayment, I used to work in a payroll department of a large organisation (public sector, without being too obvious!) and as with most large payrolls (in excess of 30,000 staff) mistakes happen (often not notified of leaving dates, hours decreases etc). Our stance on collection of overpayments was generally to write to inform the person then negotiate repayment with them - taking into account what they could afford, and even the ones we were pretty sure knew they were overpaid and could afford to repay the amount (as they we aware it was happening in most cases before it was even picked up by anyone else) were allowed to repay in installments. We also had a few decide to leave the country to avoid repayment, in which case I think they were referred to collection agencies - but how they got on I have no idea!

The Payroll/ HR departments are generally sympathetic to individual circumstances - most people have no idea how much money they should be paid each month so therefore do not notice when overpayments are made. I was overpaid while working for said Payroll Department, but knew as soon as I saw my payslip so paid it back right away - I couldn't have claimed I'd not realised! Have you spoken to anyone in the department with regard to paying back the money? I assume this happened after the job had ended? (usually the case!). As has been mentioned above, if you explain your circumstances then £1 a month would be acceptable particularly if the payments had been swallowed up with bank charges etc. Depends how reasonable the managers in HR/ Payroll are.

Mum2Four

No leave that the same,

section 77(6) states:

If the creditor fails to comply with the request

(a) They are not entitled,while the default continues, to enforce the agreement.

Catalogue debts are for running account credit, so s78(1) and s78(6) apply.

s77 is for fixed term loans.