Debt for council tax which is with Stirling Park.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4864 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, I have a debt for council tax which is with Stirling Park and they originally agreed that I could repay £6 a month as I couldn't afford more. This went on for 2 months then they called me and wrote demanding that I contact them in order to review the payment. I assured them that my circumstances/income had not improved and I was just about to seek work after a long illness. This was not accepted and they demanded to know why I was not claiming benefits. They then asked for my National Insurance number ~(presumably as they didn't believe me). Can they insist that I increase payments which I really cannot afford to do, also can they demand my NI number? Anyone else had problems with Stirling Park? Many thanks, this is such a great forum and helpful

Ormiston - it's best to start your own thread about this, but the simple answer is "No."

A DCA has absolutely no right to your N.I. number or any other info such as P60, Passport number, I&E breakdown, etc. Only a judge can ask for these. You are within your rights to argue that giving away such information could lead to fraud/identity theft, etc.

Thanks so much Halibutt, dont know how to start a new thread, can you advise? Stirling Park's (v aggressive) female demanded that I increase the payment or they would go to Court. She put it up to £10, demanded the first £10 was paid in two weeks or else....I explained that I had no actual income as such and was being helped out by my sons, but she kept telling me I should go onto benefits in order to pay the debt off. I wasn't aware that the idea of benefits was to pay debts.....

Hi, ormiston.

I have started a new thread for you, please continue to post here with regards to this issue.

Thanks.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Is there a CCJ from this already? I presume not, as you're negotiating a monthly payment amount.

If you genuinely have no income and are relying on your sons, then to all intents and purposes, an I&E sheet would seem pointless anyway.

If you're entitled to various benefits, my suggestion would be to claim them. Most of us on benefits for whatever reason, have spent 20, 30 or 40 years in gainful employment and are just down on our luck at the moment. There's no shame in claiming if it's genuine - that's why it's called National Insurance - an insurance policy should you need to claim benefits.

However, you will find that a claim is accompanied by a DWP notice, stating that the benefits you receive are the minimum on which the Government says you need to live. Benefits are not paid in order to pay/increase payments to DCAs, no matter what the DCA might say. But, if this is an arrears of Council Tax matter, you will need to pay and a CCJ could be made against you for arrears.

I would suggest that you claim whatever benefits you are entitled to, compose a letter to your local council, stating your financial circumstances clearly and concisely and making a monthly offer of whatever you can realistically afford, whether that's £1 per month or the £6 per month you were paying. It's bypassing the DCA and you may find the council agreeable.

Once you are on benefits, you can, if you wish, submit a statement of the benefits you're being paid - you will have proof from the DWP/Benefits Agency. In your current circumstances, a judge would probably rule that you pay a token amount anyway.

Others may have further advice or better suggestions.

Good luck though!

H. x

Edited by Halibutt