Thesis/link Thrteatening court for recording call

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4895 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

had a call this morning about paying arrears on a deferred student loan, arrears from a delayed deferrment from SLC. Told the guy I had recorded the call, after he said he had recorded the call and he went ballistic, saying he didn't give me permission, said they would likely take me to court, and so on, Where do i stand?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Ignore the fool, he just saw his backside because you came across as someone who knew their rights & they dont like that.

Dont speak anymore on the phone to them and refuse to answer security questions if they call you.

Thanks that's what I thought I told him I didn't need permission, he said they could sue me and that the recording was inadmissable as I think he meant breaching RIPA etc, judge would penalise etc Said I am on benefits so would only have to pay £1 or so a month if they tried to enforce the entire loan that is deferred. I think I really annoyed him.

I am going to phone their office and tell them writing only, and that my phone automatically records answered unlisted numbers.

Edited by brassnecked

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

You can record any call you want for your own use. You can use a transcript in court, or the recording itself with the permission of the judge.

What you can’t do is let a third party hear the conversation without the other person’s permission.

You spoke to a tosser who didn’t know what he was talking about. Did you get him on tape making those threats? Those threats which were intimidating, and which did not truly represent the legal position?

You can record any call you want for your own use. You can use a transcript in court, or the recording itself with the permission of the judge.

What you can’t do is let a third party hear the conversation without the other person’s permission.

I have the file now as an amr transferred to a pen, and for any dca earwigging will not be playing it to a third party, but would submit a written transcript to a court for their consideration if I needed to.

You would be entitled to submit it to TS or the OFT as part of a complaint, I believe.

Will keep that in mind if required thanks guys I am now confident my position regarding recording such calls is OK

They should realise that unwanted calls could well be recorded without them being told anyway.

I had a legal action threatened against me some years ago by a tradesman, and I contacted my company solicitor.

This is off the top...

If you are a business or a trader, and you record incoming calls, you must play a caveat or tell the caller Calls may be recorded or monitored for staff training purposes, this gives an opportunity for the caller to end the call. If you are a biz and you make the call to a person, then you must tell the person the call is recorded and allow the person to object to the call or end the call.

If you are a non-trading individual making or receiving a call, you do not need to play any caveat and you can record the call without telling them, but you need their permission if you intend to place a copy of the recording on public airwaves e.g. a radio/TV broadcast or upload it to a computer connected to the internet, a server.

Lots of case law, but takes a while to dig it all out.

Professional property investor and conveyancer

Thanks fork-it that is how I understood it, I had no intention of "publishing" or posting on YouTube or anything or playing it back to third parties, merely transcribing it and keeping a .doc of the transcript, and an archive copy of the call for my own use, as and if required . this was something the caller said I needed his permission to do

Have a look on you tube, you will see plenty of telephone recordings on there, I strongly doubt anyone sought the permission of the other to put it on there, you should stick it on there give the general public a good laugh at how just inept and uneducated these morons are!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

If you transcribe it, you dont need permission to publish it. Just dont publish anything untrue. Godfrey vs. Demon Internet Ltd.

It's defo not for publication, just part of an ongoing portfolio I am keeping of communications from SLC and Thesis, and how arrears on a deferred account keep cropping up, or changing.

If the other party said that the call was being recorded then there's simply no issue over you also recording it.

Why not make a formal complaint to the DCA about their non-compliant use of psychological pressure and misleading communication? You could use your transcript - or just suggest they listen to their own recording.

If the other party said that the call was being recorded then there's simply no issue over you also recording it.

Why not make a formal complaint to the DCA about their non-compliant use of psychological pressure and misleading communication? You could use your transcript - or just suggest they listen to their own recording.

Thanks ScarletPimpernel, That is also an option, and may be something to look at as a general response where these organisations, are always saying the call is being recorded blah de blah

I’m sure every word he uttered was just the result of an unfortunate admin error.

This call they said was a courtesy call, and the number was withheld, and was diverted to my mobile, as i was expecting another call. The phone automatically records unlisted calls if I answer them. So i will extend the courtesy of being able to correct their admin errors if they phone rather than write.

Edited by brassnecked
clumsy fingers hitting wrong keys

When I used to get calls from these idiots I would let them get wound up and then halfway through I would say"Oh by the way I'm recording this call just so we both have a record of what's being said" I was'nt but it was great to listen to them backtrack or hang up.