Gpb solicitors

DIZZYNITA
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4930 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

This is my first post here and I hope someone can help me.

On Saturday 6th December i received a letter from gbp solicitors demanding payment for a student loan taken when I lived abroad. They just stated that they wanted payment within a week or they would take court action. No please contact us to discuss payments, just pay!

The letter was posted 26th November but I received it over a week after posting.

Yesterday I received papers from the County Court and on the claim form the issue date was 6th December!:mad2:

These papers was posted 7th December and I got them yesterday.

I have 14 days to reply but one week has already gone as it took one week to reach me.

Any suggestions what I do next?? Can I request CCA or something to check what information they got, if any?

Also I think the solicitor's fee of £80 is way over the top.

DIZZYNITA

Hi,

As you have been served, I will move this thread to the legal issues section where you will (hopefully) get more help

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

" a student loan taken when I lived abroad."

How did you manage to do that? Who did you borrow this money from, was it an official UK student loan? How long ago was this taken out? did you actually get this money yourself or was it done in your name by someone else? A CCA is useless at this point - you need to submit a defence ASAP.

"Why CCJ when you can CCA!"

Hi

i lived and studied in Sweden at the time and the loan was from The Swedish National Student Aid.

I spoke to them before I took the loan and when I mentioned that I was moving to the UK and queried how the repayiment was calculated the woman said 'as the income, living standards etc is different from Sweden, it would be difficult to calculated the repayment so it wil be written off'. I was surprised by this reply. In hindsight I should have asked for a written confirmation of this conversation, but I took her word for it.

It was in 1995/96 I took the loan.

Excellent. In the court papers you were sent you will find a box to write up your defence. Fill it in with what you said above (altering the phrasing as appropriate of course). Hopefully the last time you acknowledged or paid anything towards this debt was more than 6 years ago? If so mention that in your defence as well as the debt will be Statute Barred and totally unenforceable. You must do this quickly or the other side will win a judgement against you by default.

"Why CCJ when you can CCA!"

Thanks. yes it's more than 6 years ago and I haven't aknowledge anything from them. But can I request anything from the court such as papers the solicitors sent to them?

also, in my defence can I take up illness? I'm recovering from cancer treatment.

But can I request anything from the court such as papers the solicitors sent to them?

Hi, it depends on the wording in the POC which CPR you can use.

For instance, CPR 31.14 you can use to request all the documents they refer to in the claim.

CPR part 18 vs CPR 31.14 Confused? well read here

also, in my defence can I take up illness? I'm recovering from cancer treatment.

Sorry to here about your health. I don't think you need to request any extra time, your defence is quite straightforward. You dispute this claim in full.

1. Its Statute Barred

2. Where's your Default Notice.

If you are concerned, speak to the court, explain your situation, they are normally very helpfull. Get a contact name, so if you have any further problems you can speak to the same person.

Debs xxx