Basic Account Debit Card

bottomburp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4944 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a basic account with a debit card at Nationwide. The other day I tried to use the card to buy a train ticket. I put the card in the terminal, entered the PIN etc but the transaction was refused. I had enough in the account to cover the cost of the ticket.

Now, and here's my question-- according to the Nationwide they authorised the payment but, also according to Nationwide, the train company's bank refused to accept the payment... I have looked at the receipt, it has no authorisation code on it (whereas all other transactions that have gone through OK have authorisation codes).

The Nationwide is saying it's not their fault. The train company is saying it's not their fault. Meanwhile my money (the cost of the ticket) was "blocked" for several days because Nationwide had earmarked it for the payment even though the train company's bank had declined to accept it...

I know it sounds bizarre but there's nought stranger than the truth!

I have complained to both sides - and both have told me it's not their fault!

Anyone heard of this before?

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

• 2 weeks later...

But when I telephoned Nationwide and asked them to release the funds - I had the receipt which clearly stated "authoriser declined" and "authorisation declined" - the Nationwide told me there was nothing they could do except wait for HSBC (the train company's bank) to drop the payment request.

Nationwide say they authorised the payment and that it's HSBC that's fault as they declined to accept the offered payment... the train company say they would not refuse to accept a payment...

If HSBC refused to accept the payment how are they able to get the money put to one side?

If the Nationwide agreed to make the payment why do I have a receipt that (a) says "authoriser declined" / "authorisation declined" and (b) has no authorisation code?

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.