car deposit refund

stuartm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4960 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently went to a local car dealer to find a car and saw one that was suitable. I agreed to buy the car on the basis that the dealer hands over the registration book (he had to apply for a new one).

He told me that the book would be available within 1 week so I paid a deposit of £80 and the rest would be paid when the book was handed over.

Time was of the essence with this purchase and 1 week was somethin I was willing to wait for. After 1 week he told me it would be the next week. I promtly reminded him that time was of the essence as he had been told before and if it was not available by the friday of the week I would be lookin for the deposit back to buy another car.

On oing to meet him after the second week the car still had no re book and he informed me yet again it would be 1 week.

I asked for my deposit back as he had broken the original agreement and I had to buy another car v soon. He refused to give me my whole deposit and would only return 50% as he had lost a sale of other people, had to put a new battery in the car blah blah blah......

I took the 50% deposit on the basis that he knew I would pursue him for the remainder.

This entire transaction was verbal except a reciept for the oriinal deposit I have.

I wish to recover the remainder of my deposit from this shady car dealer as he has broken our deal.

Where do I stand legally in getting this back?

any help would be much appreciated

thanks alot

What does it say on the receipt?

If he had the V5 he would not give it to you anyway. He would fill in your details on it and send it off, and give you the new owners slip.

You could have taken the car without a V5 and filled in a V62 and received the V5 directly to you. Did you hpi check the car? if it came back clear, an official receipt from the dealer would have been enough to prove ownership.

• 3 weeks later...