Cat damage help.

Harry74
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4981 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm new here I hope I've put this in the right forum! My problem is yesterday my neighbour came round asking for my insurance details for my cat. I told him I don't have any and he said well you will be getting a letter off my car insurance as your cat has scratch my bonnet of my car. As there are many cats in the street I asked how he knew it was mine, he said he had it on cctv. I have had the cat for 6 years she doesn't go out much and I have never seen her on a car bonnet! Where do I stand? Will his insurance insist I pay for a respray? I have looked at the scratches they are just above the wheel on the corner of the bonnet. Am I going to get a big bill before christmas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I think he's taking the mick to be honest!

I've never heard of such a thing, as teacup above says ask for evidence, it's very unlikely he'll be able to prove it was your cat that actually left any scratches.

I dont think he's even got a case, cats are free roaming animals and as such are a law unto themselves.

I wouldnt fret about it too much :wink:

Even though you do not have cat insurance per se, you may have family liabilities cover under a contents and/or buildings insurance policy, IF you were held legally liable. However, I have previously heard that there is NO human responsibility for a cat's actions.

However, if you have such insurance, it's worth reporting the allegation in case something arrives on your doorstep in the future, but DO NOT mention anything to the aggrieved neighbour at all.

However, I have previously heard that there is NO human responsibility for a cat's actions.

This wouldn't always be true but it will be in this situation. With dogs owners are obliged to be in control of their animal at all times so if your dog jumps up on someone's car and scratches it then yes it's up to you to get it fixed. Cats, no chance though even if there were the 'damage' would be minimal and so would the cost of fixing it.

The sort of situation where you could be in trouble with a cat? Well if you don't bother to worm it regularly and it repeatedly uses next door's childrens' sandpit as a toilet you would be liable if those kids got infested. Not because you are expected to control your cat but because you would have been negligent and as a result of your negligence your cat became a health hazard.