style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been living in the current property sice Dec 09. I initially signed an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement, which was for six months.

The property is now just changing hands, and there are a couple of things im not sure of:

The new landlord wants an addition £250 on top of the original deposit, which I assume has just been passed over to the new landlord.

The new tenancy agreement states that if I vacate before the termination of my agreement I agree to pay any resonable costs incurred in the Re Letting of the property together with the rent until a new tenancy takes effect up to and including the full term of the agreement.

Does this mean that the initial tenancy agreement doesnt count towards anything, as if I was still under that I would only need to give one months notice if im correct?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Are they talking about you signing a new fixed term?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I have been living in the current property sice Dec 09. I initially signed an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement, which was for six months.

The property is now just changing hands, and there are a couple of things im not sure of:

The new landlord wants an addition £250 on top of the original deposit, which I assume has just been passed over to the new landlord.

The new tenancy agreement states that if I vacate before the termination of my agreement I agree to pay any resonable costs incurred in the Re Letting of the property together with the rent until a new tenancy takes effect up to and including the full term of the agreement.

Does this mean that the initial tenancy agreement doesnt count towards anything, as if I was still under that I would only need to give one months notice if im correct?

Any advice would be appreciated.

You shouldnt 'assume' that the deposit has been passed over. You should get written confirmation from your new LL that he has recieved it.

You are being asked to sign a new tenancy agreement, with an increased deposit. If you decide to sign the new agreement the 'passed over' deposit and the additional £250 should be placed in a TDS scheme. You dont need to sign a new agreement if you dont want to, your existing tenancy will continue on the current periodic basis. This of course leaves you open to service of s.21 by your new LL who maybe looking for a longer term tenant via a new agreement.

You shouldnt 'assume' that the deposit has been passed over. You should get written confirmation from your new LL that he has recieved it.

You are being asked to sign a new tenancy agreement, with an increased deposit. If you decide to sign the new agreement the 'passed over' deposit and the additional £250 should be placed in a TDS scheme. You dont need to sign a new agreement if you dont want to, your existing tenancy will continue on the current periodic basis. This of course leaves you open to service of s.21 by your new LL who maybe looking for a longer term tenant via a new agreement.

Surely though, the old tenancy agreement is worthless as its an agreeement with the old Landlord?

No, its a new Assured Shorthold Tenancy.

Same thing (in this simplified context).

The old agreement isnt meaningless it is still very much valid, irrespective of change of landlord.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!