Not Receiving All Sky Channels

Feebee_71
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5019 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am at my parents house at the moment (the joys of being the single child when parent's are on holiday) and have been trying to use their Sky service. I have noticed that channels I expected to be available - they have always had them in the past and I think some are even part of the basic package - I find the system says 'No satellite signal is being received'.

This is on channels such as Sky 2, 0124 (LBC radio) Sky Sports 2 and UK Home +1 - these are the ones I have tried so far - I am sure if I go through the whole system I will find more channels with the same problem.

I have tried the suggestions from the SKY website - unplugging everything and making sure the cables/leads are all correctly attached, cleaned the viewing card with a non-shedding dry cloth and unplugging from the mains before switching back on. Have also done the reset of LBN as advised on the site but nothing makes any difference so far.

I would like to try and sort this out for them as they are unlikely to do anything when they get back and will just put up with missing channels they are paying for.

As an additional point, they had a new Sky dish and box fitted recently as they had had the old equipment for more than 9 years and were having problems with the system shutting down and not re-booting.

Any advice would be welcome to see if I can do this without having to get an engineer out to sort it!! I have already had to get their TV replaced because of problems with the screen and it is the 5th TV in the last month!!! The new one arrives today so I am hoping it will sort the problem on that side of things.

Feebee_71

Hi Feebee

It might be the subscription card, if all the equiptment is new, and it been installed recently, the only thing I can think of is a faulty card. You could take the card out

and give it a clean carefully with a paper towel, if that doesn't work order a new card.

This takes me back.:-)

Hi Rebel11,

I did try that yesterday as part of the major tryout I did to sort this problem.

Do you think that they will need a new viewing card? I know they had one last year (I think it was then as I had a new one too) when the old blue one was swapped to a white one. It was done as part of a nationwide programme by Sky!!

If it does mean a new card it will have to wait until my parents are back as it will mean they have to ring up and request it won't they?

Feebee_71

Check the EPG. If the channel listing isn't 'dimmed', then Sky aren't blocking it - if it says the signal isn't being received, then it's probably the dish that has moved slightly out of alignment and just needs correction, but this needs a physical nudge.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Since my last post the tv has been replaced - another story but the new one is a different brand and, so far, it seems to be working well.

In addition to that I have got the radio channel back, Sky Sports 2 is back as is UK Home +1; however, there is still no Sky 2 channel - still showing the 'no satellite signal is being received'. As far as I know Sky 2 is one of the basic package channels so I'm not sure why it doesn't have a signal at the moment. I did check the EPG as suggested by Buzby and it is bright so one of the channels.

The dish is a bit out of my reach on the front of the house so O might striggle to tweak it a bit and I don't want to risk losing more channels by doing something!!

Oh well, lets see if it reappears over the next couple of days!!

Feebee_71

It deffinately won't be the card for no sat signal

where it says no sat signal there shoudl be a number at the top right hand side of the message - can you tell me what the number is?

and what kind of box?

standard, skyplus or skyplus hd?

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Hi Ida,

Sorry for not replying before now - I have been on nights and also have had family things going on this weekend.

I am back at my mum's house tomorrow so I will look at those channels that I am getting this problem with and will post back.

The Sky box is of the standard version!

Feebee_71

Hello again Ida,

I have now checked through all the channels on my parents Sky box and, apart from finding they have a lot more channels than they used to have, and that some of the ones I complained about earlier in this thread have come back but not all have. All the channels that say 'no satellite signal' have the code number 36 in the top right corner.

Feebee_71

ok,

double check the dish input connection at the bakc of the box

it should just unscrew and make sure there is at least 5 - 10 mm copper wire stick out the bottom of the connection

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Have checked and there is definitely at least 5mm if not nearer to 10mm of copper wire sticking out of the centre of the input wire.

After replacing it I have just checked one of the channels again and its still the same.

Feebee_71

you have done everything else,

you should have some warranty on the new box and dish so should give them a call

idax

Thanks Ida,

It will have to wait until next week when my parents are back as it's their Sky service - I have Sky+ at home and am more than happy with the service.

Out of curiosity, what does the code 36 stand for?

Feebee_71

There donlt deffinate satnd for anything - its more a gathering of info they are used for - but sometimes you don't have a number- very rare now - so was just checking