Repossessed Car.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5024 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What a great forum, I"m new to it but glad I found it, hope some advice can be given. My daughter in law purchased a brand new car on credit, a year into the aggreement she hit hard times and stopped payments. The car was repossessed. The people who collected the car never returned it to the origanal company, in fact it was stolen. My daughter in law has a receipt for the collection of the car, and for a while the police were involved etc. The original credit company has said she is still liable and she has been making token payments to them for I think around 5 years, is this lawful? any help please would be appreciated.

What a great forum, I"m new to it but glad I found it, hope some advice can be given. My daughter in law purchased a brand new car on credit, a year into the aggreement she hit hard times and stopped payments. The car was repossessed. The people who collected the car never returned it to the origanal company, in fact it was stolen. My daughter in law has a receipt for the collection of the car, and for a while the police were involved etc. The original credit company has said she is still liable and she has been making token payments to them for I think around 5 years, is this lawful? any help please would be appreciated.

Hello and welcome to cag.

Firstly would you be able to give a few more details? You say the original creditor has said your daughter in law was still liable, was this liable for the entire amount or an amount remaining after an insurance claim on the repo agent's insurance for the value of the car at the time??

There is no way she would be liable for the entire amount as her liability would only be for the shortfall after the proceeds from the repossession were deducted, if they were unable to strictly prove what that liability was they would not be able to hold her liable for any amount.

Just my opinion.... :-)

need more detail on the agents, stolen by who, police involvement, and who are the creditors.

cab

To be honest I"m not sure wether they are saying she is liable for the whole amount because they never received the car back, or just for the shortfall. I will post at a later date with more details, but do appreciate your input thanks.

Right hope I"m a bit clearer on my daughter in laws postion. The car was repossessed by the credit company for non payment, A subsidery of that company collected the car, the man who collected never returned the car to the credit company. The credit company got the police involved, my daughter in law was questioned by the police. The credit company says my daughter in law is liable for the shortfall of £2000, how they come to this figure without seeing the car is beyond me, but anyway she was disputing that figure for a total of 5 years without making any payments. She then got a letter from a debt collection company asking her to ring them to arrange payment, they were using "bully boy tactics" so she caved in and has been paying them a token payment for about 3 years now. My question is can she stop payments and ask the debt collectors for proof that she owes this money to them, under the consumer credit act? if so and they cant provide her with proof, can she claim the money back she has already paid them? As they have obviousley bought the debt from the original creditors it is very unlikely they will have proof. Any suggestions please........