• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Logbook loans issue

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5004 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, i've bvisited this site a few times in this past and read some great advice.

Basically i took out a logbook loan (i'm sure you're all farmiliar with this company) last year. I ended up having the car repossessed, and i paid the £1500 to get my account up to date again. i am now living in another country (in the eu) and my car is in storage. I think they will now be trying to repossess the vehicle, but obviously they wont find it. I'm wondering what lengths they will go to in order to repossess the vehicle. The vehicle is registered to an old address which i no longer live at, will they try there?

Also, as i have now paid more to them than the original loan itself, i feel inclined to leave it at that - what will the consequences of this be?

I didn't intend to stay abroad, but i have been forced to serve national service, and have been unable to leave. i contacted LBL and explained this, and they just said that they will try to repossess my car.

Anyone have any advice for me? Thanks in advance

Basically they have no powers, they have to take you to court to get a warrant to get the car (and its not them its the court appointed baliffs). As for you being out of the country they cannot do anything at all, not even serve you...And that they need an English or Welsh address, where you reside..

The car is well hidden, on private property, yes? the LBL agents need the permission of the land owner to obtain access to the car-even if its on a drive...so my advice for now is DON'T WORRY they cannot do anything. If they find it and take without permission, tresspass....

Trooper68

Trooper68:)

Thanks for your reply. Since i informed them that i now live abroad, they have not made any attempt to contact me (although they may have been sending letters to my old address). They have my phone number but they have not called me. We'll see what happens i guess...

Thanks for your reply. Since i informed them that i now live abroad, they have not made any attempt to contact me (although they may have been sending letters to my old address). They have my phone number but they have not called me. We'll see what happens i guess...

if you plan to stay out of the country then it will be hard to do anything. but you will have problem with your car. you will never be able to use it or sell it. and remember if you are comming back to the uk your loan is going up 358% everytime you miss payments

Can you explain why i will never be able to use it? If, for example, i go back in a year, can i not continue to drive it? What will they do to make me unable to drive it?

How will you tax your car when you get back ............... remember you have moved address. and also did you sorn it ??? and also remember mot is listed on a HPI so it will flag up as soon as you do anything. to put it back on the road. and then they will take it.

• 1 month later...

sorry to bring this one up again, i have a few queries...

i've just had to apply for a new drivers license... will LBL find out my new address from this and start going to this address? (the car is not there, i had to use my parent's address)

Also, i was planning on sending my friend the keys and letting him use the car while i'm away, he will have to tax it and insure himself on it. i take it they're gonna try and take it from him...? Will they be able to if it's parked on private property, off the road?

thanks

sorry to bring this one up again, i have a few queries...

i've just had to apply for a new drivers license... will LBL find out my new address from this and start going to this address? (the car is not there, i had to use my parent's address)

Also, i was planning on sending my friend the keys and letting him use the car while i'm away, he will have to tax it and insure himself on it. i take it they're gonna try and take it from him...? Will they be able to if it's parked on private property, off the road?

thanks

Hi Ya

Applying for a new drivers licence does not directly link you to any given vehicle - clearly, if you need to re-register the vehicle at your new address - then this will flag up and be information that will be easily available to anyone that knows your 'reg plate'.

If your mate starts to drive the car - then you are opening a whole can of worms mate - dodging, ducking and diving is hard enough without sending out alarm bells - which is effectively what you would be doing should you decide to send keys to a friend for him to use the vehicle.

Can I suggest - if you truly beleive that there is a 'legal' issue with the circumstances of the loan and the security - then this is the place to come - but; with respect; if all you seek to do is to 'dodge, duck and dive' then our replies are frutitless as the majority on the forum have real issues and seek real advise - like I say, no offence meant - but yours doesn't seem like one where you have a true legal issue - If I am wrong- then I apologise : )

[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]"Errors do not cease to be errors simply because they’re ratified into law.” [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][B][CENTER] E.A. Bucchianeri[/CENTER][/B]

Thanks for your reply. If the loan was given without any evidence of income, and in fact encouraged despite this, does this change anything regarding the validity of the loan? I was another "side of the road, no questions asked" fool, i'm afraid. If i return to the uk, i'm more likely to scrap the car for parts than surrender it to these crooks. I have already paid more than the initial loan, and gone through untold amounts of hassle/bullying at the hands of these people.

Thanks for your reply. If the loan was given without any evidence of income, and in fact encouraged despite this, does this change anything regarding the validity of the loan? I was another "side of the road, no questions asked" fool, i'm afraid. If i return to the uk, i'm more likely to scrap the car for parts than surrender it to these crooks. I have already paid more than the initial loan, and gone through untold amounts of hassle/bullying at the hands of these people.

Hi, I hear you.....

May I point you to a number of posts on the forum that have been posted to enlighten caggers.

Whilst you seek a 'quick fix' reply - regrettably there isn't one - but if you spend a little time investing in you and your situation by reading through the treads herein - you should be able to find the answers to your concerns and move your issue forward from there - is that ok?

If you have a specific legal issue after having considered the content on the forum - then it will be easier and quicker to assist you once we are on a 'level' playing field : )

(Not wishing to be rude - but it is time consuming saying the same thing over and over again - when it is clear the threads have not been considered beforehand)

Apple : )

[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]"Errors do not cease to be errors simply because they’re ratified into law.” [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][B][CENTER] E.A. Bucchianeri[/CENTER][/B]

No rudeness detected at all! I have spent a lot of time going through other threads and reading other people's experiences, but to be honest i got lost in it all, some of the threads are so long and after a while i lost track of what happened, who got what resolved, and how etc. I guess i need to concentrate more! Anyway you're absolutely right, i'm looking for a quick fix to a situation which is not quick-fixable. I'm considering contacting them to find out the current situation of my account, as it's no doubt escalated to a ridiculous amount now.

If i go back to the uk, tax and mot my car, and start using it, and then contact LBL saying i'm prepared to pay a final settlement fee, or start paying back what i owe, are they likely to agree to this, or simply come and seize the car? If this is another question you can't answer i apologise, i just seem to have got myself into a right pickle, and i'm trying to figure out where to go from here.

As far as i can see, my options are:

surrender the vehicle

have it seized

never use it again

pay back a huge sum to clear the account, probably a quadrillion times more than the car is worth.

I'm rambling, anyway if you have any more advice or suggestions please fire away, if not i aplolgise for wasting your time. This is a great forum and i appreciate all the replies so far!