Baliff calling.How do i make them see sense

aelizzy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6448 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i NEED SOME HELP

Ihave hada county court bill for council tax of 1750.00.This has been placed in the hands of a baliff who has called to my house and left proposals to pay 170 per week.I rang Baliff said i couldnt afford amount..but could pay £600 per month.I am seperated 5 children job take home 1650 per month.They said this is not acceptable.

Left it a while the wrote to them yesterday with cheque for £600 and letter explaining.Sent them email to confirm.Recieved email reply today saying not acceptable ,offer of 170 per week withdrawn and Baliffs asked to revisit.

Seems very unfair and i am out all day and i do not want my children bothered by Baliffs.Anyone know what i should do.Worried sick?

One letter

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Your Reference

I understand XXX Council has appointed you to recover my Council Tax Liability arrears for 200x. which are £xxxx Council Tax Liability.

Firstly I would like to make you aware that I am aware of my rights and you will not gain entry to my home under any circumstances to levy goods and the fees allowed under statue and when which fees can be applied.

Due to my circumstances I am unable to pay this in one payment. I advocate a payment schedule of 24 months with 23 months payments at £xx.xx and the balance of £xx.xx to be paid on the 24th month to cover the principle. I understand this may seem a long time but this is a realistic offer that is affordable to me and will allow me to pay future bills issued for Council Tax without them falling into arrears. A greater amount would cause me real and factually hardship.

I am able to pay the above amount on the xx of each month, as an act of good faith I have enclosed the first payment chq number xxxxxx. Please advise how you would like future payments made. My personal preference is payment by Standing Order.

It should be noted that I am not at any point refusing to pay this debt but only asking for a fair payment period considering my circumstances. And if you are unable to accept my offer I will place the money aside each month until such a time the council take the account back into their management, when I will make payment of the set aside money to the council.

Please also send an itemised statement of account that clearly shows what charges have been added and what for, you are required in statue to supply this information and I look forward to this within 14 days.

I am sending the council a copy of this letter and requesting that it be filled with my account for further reference.

I hope the above meets your approval and I look forward to your timely reply by letter.

Yours faithfully,

• 2 weeks later...

Check whether their charges are in line with the set scale for Council Tax cases. if they aren't, threaten to go to the courts over it, and if they harass you too much, go to the clerk of the relevant Magistrates' Court and make a complaint. I've been having problems with Equita, and my strategy is to keep threatening this, as their charges are totally out of line. Last time I had a visit from a bailiff (June 24th), he left as soon as I mentioned the word 'court', and hasn't returned, though I'm still getting threats through the post from Head Office. My strategy has been to pay the Council Tax arrears via the Council website (they're now cleared), and refuse to pay a penny of Equita's fees, as they're unable to account for them satisfactorily.

Regards

Robert Brenchley

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Terminator

Hit them across the kneecaps with a pickaxe handle when they turn up.LOL

I do not advocate violence and I am not a violent person and I condone violence but I make an exception with baliff's.

I do not advocate violence and I am not a violent person and I condone violence but I make an exception with baliff's.

I assume this isn't what you meant to say. ;)

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

Guest Zooman
Hi, I may be wrong but, I beleive they are forced to accept your offer by law!
No bailiffs are not forced to accept any part offers in fact they really hate it.

Guest Zooman
The creditor has to accept the £50 offer of paymnet, they in turn should instruct the bailiff! my mistake.:)
Sorry that is not the case, the creditor may accept the £50 offer of payment and in turn they should instruct the bailiff. What needs to happen if one of 2 things 1) bailiff takes offer or b) returns it to the council, whom then will take the offer as they have little choice if an offer has been made.