Arnold Clark Problems ***RESULT***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5060 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, thiis is my first post on here so i apologise if i,m not in the correct place!

I traded in my old car at Arnold Clar on the 2nd July 2010. I say traded in but it was a straight swap for a smaller car.

We have had 2 problems with the car so far, 1 reported to Arnold Clark within a week of picking it up and the 2nd the following week days before the car was due in to thier service centre to be fixed. The problems being a leak from underneath the bonnet and water trickling into the passenger footwell (after it has rained).

Car went into AC service centre on the 15th July to be picked up on the 18th July as we were away for the weekend. Phone call monday to say car was ready....no faults found so therefore nothing has been done. Went to service centre on monday afternoon and spoke with the Foreman. I refused to take the car home as i knew there were faults. He said ok they would do a water test the following day with regards to the water leaking into the footwell. Nothing was said about leak to the front.

Picked up car on tuesday.....everthing seems fine, was told something had been sealed up. What i don't know, refused to give me any paperwork. Got home and parked up, leak underneath bonnet is still there. Returned AGAIN to the service centre yesterday and explained there is still a leak! Spoke to Service manager and foreman again, car up on ramp, they took me through and said "look nothing is leaking, this is bone dry". Pointed out the area i thought it was leaking from. Turns out the radiator was leaking so that is now on order. Fine that's that.

Got into car this morning and drove up a hill (we've had a bit of rain overnight) water POURED in the footwell. The problem is worse than it was before. I have taken photos. Phoned the showroom where car was purchased and eventually got to speak to the complaints manager. I have explained that i have spoken to Consumer Direct and they have agreed that i have given them reasonable time to repair car and i'm now entitled to a refund or like for like replacement but the man i spoke to disagrees and says they have not had reasonable time to rectify problems....the car is going into the garage tomorrow for the THIRD time in a week!

Where do i go from here?

I know it's long but thank you in advance for advice!

Edited by MrsB123

Tell them tomorrow, that as this is their third attempt, if the problem isn't fixed this time, there will be no further booking the car in with them and it be going to the dealer to be fixed and a copy of the bill passed to them for reimbursement.

What is the value of the car?

You should also lift the carpeting from the front to see what state the floor pan is in. If this leak has been there for some time, it might be in a state to make you reject the car.

A suspected leak from the cooling system is not checked by seeing if it is dry, but by pressurising the cooling system, watching for any drop in pressure as well as checking for leaks at the same time.

• Haha 1

The value...well we got it for £3998 but i have since checked on Parkers and it is less than that but that's a garage forecourt for you! I am really loosing confidence in the car especially since i have my little boy in it a lot.

Going to lift the carpet tonight. Close of business has came and went, the service centre has not phoned to tell me when the car needs to be booked in for to replace the radiator as he had indicated he would phone me today for it to be booked in for tomorrow and the Complaints Manager hasn't got back to me either. No surprise there really!

Thanks for your advice.

Husband has attempted to lift the carpet which the mechanic at the service centre has already (apparently done) and we can't unless we unscrew things. And we don't want to risk that incase we can't get the carpet back down neatly.

Also, i have looked on the net to see if this is a problem with corsas and apparently it is when the car has been modded, but ours hasn't?

Really don't know what to do next? Should i wait for compliants manager to contact me? Should i have it independently inspected? Or if i don't hear from the garage by close of business tomorrow should i send them a letter formally rejecting the car?

So confused!

Husband has attempted to lift the carpet which the mechanic at the service centre has already (apparently done) and we can't unless we unscrew things. And we don't want to risk that incase we can't get the carpet back down neatly.

Also, i have looked on the net to see if this is a problem with corsas and apparently it is when the car has been modded, but ours hasn't?

Really don't know what to do next? Should i wait for compliants manager to contact me? Should i have it independently inspected? Or if i don't hear from the garage by close of business tomorrow should i send them a letter formally rejecting the car?

So confused!

It depends if you want to keep the car or not. If yes, then give them this third attempt and if not fixed, then take it to the dealer and forward AC a copy of the bill demanding that it is reimbursed.

Just in case you weren't aware, any faults during the first six months are assumed to have been there at the time of sale. Also any faults found during the first six months it is up to the seller to 'prove' that they weren't there at the time of sale.

You will need to lift the carpet at some time and the sooner the better, but certainly within the next few days. What you find could alter the whole approach.

and this is not a joke...

It's Arnold Clark who are the joke. You're just not seeing (or don't want to see), the wider picture Alasdair. The problems highlighted in these forums are all about misrepresentation and blatant deception in order to not just to get a sale, but in the branch failure to respond to customers genuine complaints.

People come on here usually as a last resort because they have attempted to do it the right way but have been fobbed off and lied to by the staff at AC.

Edited by Conniff

Whichever way to go with this MrsB, make sure that carpet is lifted and you see underneath it with your own eyes, and don't just take someones word for it.

Edited by Conniff

I have edited my first post...didn't realise there was an AC staff member on this forum.

We decided that it was best not to lift the carpet coz if we can't get it back down properly we may knock value off the car? Obviously car is not booked in for today because they have not contacted me. Thought that possibly when they take the car in again i could ask them to lift the carpet and show me what's underneath.

My little boy has just went down for his morning nap so i'm away to get on the phone to AC just now and see what's what.

Read so much on the internet about what my rights are i am very very confused! Going to write down a few points before i pick up the phone though!

Thanks again, will keep you updated.

Going to write down a few points before i pick up the phone though!

Things that aren't covered are those that can reasonably be expected to be seen at the time of purchase like a big scratch down the side, you would be expected to notice that on looking at the car, so couldn't take it back a week later expecting it to be repaired.

As mentioned earlier. During the first six months, the 'regulations say' that any faults are assumed to have been there at the time of purchase and that during that same period, it is up to the seller to prove any faults were not there at purchase. After the six months, it is up to the buyer to prove that the faults were there.

This doesn't mean that a seller can drag a complaint out past the six months and then deny any liability, any faults reported in that six month period will continue in force until repaired.

Although you are only given a 'resonable' amount of time to reject, (reasonable is not stipulated) after which you are deemed to have accepted the purchase, courts can decide what is reasonable and have allowed rejections up to two years after purchase.

I know I am going on about it, but it really is of great importance that you have a look under the carpet to see what state the floorpan is in. The carpet will go back exactly the way it is now as it is shaped to the car.

Result!!!!!!

After much to-ing and fro-ing today, the complaints manager came back to me about 4pm and offered me a full refund upon return of the car.

Not sure if it was because i made clear to him that i knew what my rights are (made notes before the first phone call of the day). Was very surprised that the matter has been resolved so quickly and my faith in AC has been restored a little but i won't be buying from them again. Hubby pointed out to me that it is the third car we have bought from them and the third car that has had to go back into the garage within the first 6 months of having it.

Now just to decide what kind of car to buy!

Thank you again for all your advice.

MrsB:D

Congratulations. It will be because they have read on here what you have been up to and realised they they just won't win this one.

Whatever car you plump for next Mrs B, do not under any circumstances let it be a French one. You will sorely rue the day if you do. Have a look at Honda.

Edited by Conniff

Well done Mrs B. Thread title amended.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Really don't know what we are going to go for, we will take our time in looking though. Would absolutely love a Honda FRV but no way will the purse strings stretch to that.

Anyway, car was handed back this morning and the manager couldn't have been nicer. I said i haven't been hearing good things about the company and he agreed that the company haven't got a great reputation when it comes to customer service and that is why they wanted the matter resolved as quickly as possible as it is something they are looking to improve.

I just get the impression that they take for granted that they will always get customers through the door because of the name and size of the company.

MrsB

Mrs.B. Conniff gave you excellent advice about Honda. If purse won't streatch to Honda, it might just be worth a look at Nissan. My daughter had three old ones, the last being sold at well over 100,000 mls, and with little trouble. One motoring correspondant described that car a Primera, as being boringly reliable. What more could you want?