changed bank accounts- 1 week without money

fruitycar
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6625 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Posting htis on behalf of daughter as not sure where to go with this. Daughter changed bank accounts inJanuary as it was no longer convenient with old bank ,BOS, living in Cotswolds, no local branch, so transferred account to LloydsTSB.

She was without money for 1 week when the transfer was being done by the banks and in this time had a car loan payment taken, neither accoount had any money in it (where was it ?) and the car loan company have charged her £45 total for unpaid DD.

where do we start. who do we approach first ? She is 19 living away from home (long way from home) and I would like to help her recover these charges and to make sure she doesnt have a default on her credit record as this was not her fault.

Bank of Scotland round 1: £740 + costs settled, still sore over the 8% grrr

Bank of Scotland round 2: £629 +101.15 interest +£39 costs settled.

Your argument is with the car loan company. They have levied a charge to compensate them for your breach of contract. If that charge is disproportionate to the costs arising from your breach, then it will fall within the definition of a penalty charge. It would then be unlawful and recoverable.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought most banks give some sort of guarantee when opening a new current account that all your direct debits will be moved accross correctly. When my Dad had a simular problem with Abbey they refunded the charges,both thiers and the other companie's (he had to take paperwork in to confirm the amount) and gave him £50 for cocking things up.

Might be worth her contacting her new bank about this, shouldn't have been left without money for so long surely. You'd have thought they would have sorted a free overdraft for a week if it was going to take so long.

alibobs

Btw I am no expert just give notes based on what I have read on here and other forums/sites, plus my own experiences and investigations.

All ccj's now dropped off file, 2 yrs to go to clear file.

All old debts either settled or made unenforcable.

RBS MPP-Full offer at 8 wks from first complaint

RBS Overdraft loanguard-full offer at 8 wks from complaint

Citicard ppi-with FOS finally paid 8 months after offer through FOS!

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

aqua x2 ppi-partialled settled still pushing for the rest

Black horse ppi-offers made and accepted except for one early loan they say no info held-still pushing for payment

I thought most banks give some sort of guarantee when opening a new current account that all your direct debits will be moved accross correctly. When my Dad had a simular problem with Abbey they refunded the charges,both thiers and the other companie's (he had to take paperwork in to confirm the amount) and gave him £50 for cocking things up.

Might be worth her contacting her new bank about this, shouldn't have been left without money for so long surely. You'd have thought they would have sorted a free overdraft for a week if it was going to take so long.

alibobs

I have been nagging her to phone them precisely for this reason. She signed all the transfer forms mid;Dec and this d/d was taken out 18th Jan so they should have been aware of it. The loan company have said they would reinburse her their charges (£45) if the bank supplied a letter. She is convinced she wont get these charges refunded, I think she feels intimidated.

I would phone up on her behalf, but I'm not sure they would deal with me. What do you think?

If she doesn't like to phone perhaps you could both go into the branch to ask. That way you can explain things on her behalf and back her up with the bank.

You might be able to speak to the branch for her but some institutions are funny about this, because of the security and data protection issues. They might ask for her to call first and authorise you to speak for her or even ask for a signed authority from her. Perhaps you could convince her to call when you are there to support her, it might help her to have all the points she wants to make written down before she calls so she doesn't feel as lost on the phone. I work in a customer based job and speak to customers all the time and even I write things down sometimes before I make calls! She is a new customer and most banks go out of their way to be helpful, at least at first and this is definately their error. Go get em!!!!!

Good Luck

Alibobs :cool:

Btw I am no expert just give notes based on what I have read on here and other forums/sites, plus my own experiences and investigations.

All ccj's now dropped off file, 2 yrs to go to clear file.

All old debts either settled or made unenforcable.

RBS MPP-Full offer at 8 wks from first complaint

RBS Overdraft loanguard-full offer at 8 wks from complaint

Citicard ppi-with FOS finally paid 8 months after offer through FOS!

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

aqua x2 ppi-partialled settled still pushing for the rest

Black horse ppi-offers made and accepted except for one early loan they say no info held-still pushing for payment

If she doesn't like to phone perhaps you could both go into the branch to ask. That way you can explain things on her behalf and back her up with the bank.

You might be able to speak to the branch for her but some institutions are funny about this, because of the security and data protection issues. They might ask for her to call first and authorise you to speak for her or even ask for a signed authority from her. Perhaps you could convince her to call when you are there to support her, it might help her to have all the points she wants to make written down before she calls so she doesn't feel as lost on the phone. I work in a customer based job and speak to customers all the time and even I write things down sometimes before I make calls! She is a new customer and most banks go out of their way to be helpful, at least at first and this is definately their error. Go get em!!!!!

Good Luck

Alibobs :cool:

Unfortunately I'm in NE Scotland and she is in Gloucestershire. She is just going to have to be grown up about it or I will just keep on nagging.....its what Mums are for! lol

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6625 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks