Points on licence/DVLA & insurance

layperson
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5081 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son was given 4 points on his license at court back in April. The DVLA or police or court system have not asked for his driving license to update and add the points . His annual car insurance is due in August. How long does he have to wait for them to come through on his license. Should he tell the insurance company regardless? Does anyone know the affect on his premium ? He already has 3.

Thanks

The number of points awarded by the court should be declared to your insurer at the first available opportunity, together with the date of the offence, the court conviction date and the offence code.

The effect on the renewal premium? - How long is a piece of string? There are a thousand and one variables here.

Bottom line, the court conviction is a material fact and must be declared.

H

What do you mean revoked?.this is his first offence and we are not sure of the procedure..noones told him to send his licence anywhere? I think when you have a speeding fine you are advised to send your licence off..noone has asked that? No paperwork has been received since?

Thanks

You certainly need to get your son to check it, I am pretty sure that when my husband went to court he had to give his licence in on the day.

You should also have told the insurance company, mine checked whether I had any convictions when I phoned them to tell them about a smashed window... and they can check anyway, so no idea why they bother asking.

First time I went to court for a motoring offence I didn't realise that I should have taken my driving licence along. I was called up and before any of the case was heard the judge asked for my driving licence. When I said I didn't have it with me, the case was adjourned. Judge said the case could not proceed without my driving licence and set another date, telling me to be sure I brought my licence along.

So I'm not sure how your son could have got the points without producing his licence to the court...

And he should tell his insurance company IMMEDIATELY, not wait till his insurance is due for renewal. They will use anything to get out of paying a claim. A friend of my father's had a brand new sports car, got 3 points for something really trivial, forgot to inform his insurance company, had a bad crash and completely wrote his sports car off. Insurance company refused to pay out as he hadn't told them about the 3 points and he ended up around £30,000 out of pocket.:eek:

Confusing! You say 'he already has 3' but this was his first offence????

Asuming he does already have 3, that makes 7 now. If he obtained those 7 points within 2 years of passing his driving test then his licence WILL have been revoked.

In any event, as pointed out above, you do not wait for a paper licence with points to be sent to you. You notify the insureres IMMEDAITELY as failing to do so will invalidate his insurance mid term if they are not told. Failure to disclose and all that.