Basic requirements for driving abroad?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5071 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does anyone know the requirements for driving abroad? (from UK and want to driving around Europe)

I know you need headlights adapted for driving on the right hand side of the road and you can pick up a kit from Halfords for all the necessary things you need whilst driving in the EU.

But do you need to be over a certain age and have been driving for a certain length of time? By the time I go I'll still be 23 but will only have been driving for a few months?

Thanks

The AA web site, dare I mention it, has all the things you need to know. Basically in the EU, carry a warning triangle, a spare set of bulbs and a fluroecent vest. Some EU countries require a bail bond but your insurance should have this now anyway if fully comp. The big thing is to learn Euro highway code especially in Germany where some states/counties still require you to give way to an adjoing road on the right.

Just remember for some daft and unfathomable reason they drive on the right. Defeats me that one!!!

are set of bulbs and a fluroecent vest.

Is that for each occupant of the car?

I've also heard your florescent vest should be stored inside the passenger compartment of the car,

it's there as a safety item so they want you to have it ready, not standing at the back of the car trying to find it in the boot.

-so that seemed to make sense!!

Ok, I've got the list of stuff I need legally and stuff that would also be useful.

I take it you don't need to be over a certain age or have been driving for a certain amount of time then?

You will need to have all relevant vehilce documentd to hand at all times.

On a driving note be on you toes about the traffic laws in Country you travel in.

They may only subtle differences but enough for you to run foul of.

Also any fine handed out is payable in cash only to the officer fining you

ie; not wearing seatbelt could cost you 130 euro on spot fine, incorrectly fitted beam deflecters etc......

Quite a lot of pedestrians think that they right of way and stuff the traffic.

Drive safe and have a good time.

:)

dk

Remember that every time you cross a border the traffic rules change, there is no "abroad".

Watch out for Italy, they have variable speed limits, depending on the day of the week.

In the Netherlands traffic coming from the right has priority. Bikes think they have priority, and trams may or may not have priority but they are much bigger than you are.

Oh - and remember the speed limit is in kph, use the other numbers on the dial. I know it sounds daft, but once you have been there for a few days, and have relaxed, it can be done.

Another thing to remember in France is that the speed limit on motorways varies depending on whether it's raining - 130kph normally/110kph when raining.

If you have a good satnav it is worth changing to kilometres as you can use that to give a check on your speed if your car speedo is not that clear - as some are not.

Also if you have a fairly new (e.g. less than 5 years) car, there may be a switch to adjust the headlights to avoid the nasty stick on adjusters. However this won't necessarily be mentioned in the handbook. Our local main dealer showed us how to adjust them, but there's nothing at all in the handbook so it might be worth asking.

Re Sat Navs - using the postcode is often not helpful in rural France since each postcode can cover a huge area, and rural addresses may not have a road name, just the name of the hamlet.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

make sure you have the fluo jackets in the car passenger compartment (whack them under a seat or in the glovebox along with the bulb set)

carry all your documentaion in the car too.

you can get hte headlight adjustment carried out to EU spec but much better to just buy the stick ons and peel them off when done. rather than risk them resetting in france.

Warning triangle

First aid kit

All mandatory in france and if you dont have all of htem alot of the coppers are pulling people over for "random" stop checks as they come off the ferry strangely enough on the uk cars were being pulled. its a hefty fine too.

Search about for the stuff I found Lidl and Aldi and Maplins were great for the bits and easily 80% cheaper than halfrauds.