Anglian Water and Moorcroft

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4511 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

Moorcr@p are usually the easiest DCA to see off -- look at threads in the Debt collection industry Forum -- once stuff gets passed to this low level of pond life the chances are that you can get the account closed -- although unlike other credit / consumer debts you DO actually have to pay for services supplied by utility companies if you have been supplied by them.

Moorcr@p have a "Pre School" (Pre Court division) and a "Home Visit" division both of which you can safely ignore.

I'm actually surprised that Anglian water has "sold" the debt on to a DCA as they will usually go to court themselves rather than use DCA's.

If the debt has actually been "sold" to moorcr@p rather than just being "assigned for collection" then just ignore.

Cheers

jimbo

Edited by jimbo45

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an ambiguity in the last post.

DCAs can act in two ways.

a) as agents for the utility. THe utilities appoint them as agents. They do this because the DCAs are masters of dishonest intimidation andd harrassment (something the utility do not want to be associated with) and they get results. The debt remains with the utility and you can insist you deal with them and not the agent. The DCA cannot sue because the debt is not owned by them.

b) they can 'sell' the debt to a utility. In legal terms they assign the debt to the utility and there must be a deed of assigment. In addition the original debt holder must inform you of the assignment though of course you have no say in the matter. Now the utility cannot sue but the DCA can. However it is very common for the paperwork passed at the assignment to be totally inadequate and the DCA is quite unable to prove the debt. For them this does not usually matter because most people can be intimidated by them to pay + unlawful fees and interest. They even get away with it in court because if the case is not defended the judge does not ask for proof of the debt and a default CCJ is issued. If a case is defended they will give in or ask the utility for the proof or they may insist that the utility takes the debt back.

Like jumbo45 I would be astonished if this 'debt' had been assigned (sold) to a DCA as it is not usual practice for them.

I send Moordaft the PIL (Prove It Letter). They replied that they will investigate. Received some daft reply from Anglian Water including:

Moordaft is their agent, they didn't buy the debt

Apparently Moordaft will not persue the debt until they have proper investiagetd it and ensured that all the facts are correct (Aglian Daft?)

They (Anglian Water) have certain dates when we lived in the property, seemed Moordaft supplied them with it and they are completely wrong - Apparently we have to Proof that we do not live their during part of that period.

and lost of other daft styff including that should I refuse to pay Moordaft then Anglian Water will seek COurt ACtion

What Anglian Water seems to forget is that I have appointed a third party to act on my behalf, they arranged a payment with them and Anglian Water is receiving regular payments. In the meantime Moordaft is sending their ppor photocopy letters from their Pre-School kindergarten with all the ususlly junk.

Seems to me that Anglian Water is just as daft!!

Just my 2 pence.

“We believe Capital One Law takes privilege over UK Law” – Sven Lagerberg – Capital One.

-----------------

By supplying ALL the documents WILL NOT answer your questions but by supplying a SELECTIVE few will. – Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Separate requests with a fee should be made to ALL relevant Data Controllers in an organisation. - Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Our t&c's overrides ICO guidelines when reporting to CRA's - Karon A Bullock - Capital One

Having read this threat I have some questions.

1) If a debt is sold to a debt collector who I understand from this thread can then take legal action themselves. If this was to happen can you still submit a counter claim as part of court proceedings in relationship to money the original company may owe you?

2) In relationship to phones calls since registering with the Silent Callgard Service as mentioned in the ICO personal information tool kit the number of calls I get has dropped and when I get calls I get to speak to someone straight away - no multiple calls a days from computers putting you through to a call centre. Is doing this a simple way to stop debt collectors calling (or at least make it costly for them to do so to the extent you only get an occasional call) or is this fact unrelated?

Finally a recent letter I saw from Moorcroft had a large heading Notice of Possible Litigation that sounds more friendly than the heading Notice of Intended Litigation mentioned at the start of this thread.

Having re-read this thread I see the possible litigation letter follows the intended litigation letter. The next letter I understand to expect is from a company called MIDAS LEGAL SERVICES LIMITED.

Can you please advise me what is the name of the Solicitor on that letter. If I can get this I hope to stop MIDAS LEGAL SERVICES sending me a computer generated letter by telling them I would only accept a letter asking for the name and address of my Solictor. I understand once a Solictor is aware you may have legal representation they can only write to you asking for this information and can no longer write to you direct on any other matter.

I guess some one some where has passed on your information without your consent passed i ment problerly sold but they always say passed

but then this would be a data protection civil issue

some one told me there's no such thing as a contract for the water company any way

plus some good web sites about put them in search engines etc

as for these debt collection agencys etc yes it's intimidating harrassing how ever do not ignore the letters if you read them carefully

what they are asking in a polite way is to contract with them ie warning you to contact them by date etc so what i do is just write back something or nothing in most cases and send it via the post office in thier own envelope and always get proof of postage as it's free the card part you fill in

if you have a scanner scan every letter and letter you send them after many years i keep discs of it all now and the paperwork side i just burn it to heat the house an now i use it on the bbq so all good

ignore them

the more you write, the more they thing they have found a mug to fleece.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

@ dx but would'nt that like be dishonouring the company i can see what your saying like

just curious thats all all info helps :)

sorry don't understand

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 months later...
Hi there

Moorcr@p are usually the easiest DCA to see off --

I found Wescot (the first lot that came after me) very easy to get rid of with the "prove it" letter.

As far as Moorcroft are concerned I have followed dx100uk's advice to the letter and have completely ignored (but kept) all letters from them. I've heard nothing since the last letter I received from them in July - the one threatening home visits that I mentioned earlier in this thread.

I'm still not entirely sure if Moorcroft have bought the alleged debt or are acting as an agent.

Bank charges reclaimed:

£2160 from First Direct.

£415 + costs from HFC/Beneficial

£409 + costs + interest from RBS (£544.39)

i bet they're not either!

dx

and they

yes or from a phishing list sold around

dx

and they

although unlike other credit / consumer debts you DO actually have to pay for services supplied by utility companies if you have been supplied by them.

Hi,

Can anyone confirm if debts incurred to a utility company (i.e. Southern Water) become statute barred after six years if no contact with said company within the six year period?

thanks

A

yes they can be statute barred which is why i'm saying phishing list.

if the water co wanted their money, why wait sev yrs to ask for it and thru a dca.

def phishing letter

and a water utility bill can be treated like anf std debt, it does not come under the 'priority' bills catagory

they cant cut you off, not allowed too, so tough luck!

dx

and they

We had identical prob with Moorcroft over a mobile phone bill which was not ours (my son's ex-girlfriend). We just couldn't get rid of them. Eventually went to Citizens Advice who suggested not accepting the liability but offering them £1.00 per month to pay off the debt. Moorcroft accepted the CAB proposal but of course it costs more than a £1 to collect a debt so they've quietly disappeared! I think they feel they'd be losing face if they backed down, so if you give them a way out, they take it.

i would not recommend that course of action

dx

and they

• 8 months later...

I now have a threat-o-gram from Anglian Water themselves, saying they may issue a county court claim, or send the "debt" to a third party to collect on their behalf. I think my next move (or lack thereof) should be to sit tight and see which they choose, hoping for the latter.

Any thoughts?

Bank charges reclaimed:

£2160 from First Direct.

• 1 month later...

CCS Collect is my latest friend introduced to me by Anglian Water. Anyone had any experience with this lot?

Bank charges reclaimed:

£2160 from First Direct.

• 1 month later...

A few (ignored) letters later, and I now have a "72 hour notice of home visit". Any advice on what to do should this materialise?

Bank charges reclaimed:

£2160 from First Direct.

A few (ignored) letters later, and I now have a "72 hour notice of home visit". Any advice on what to do should this materialise?

Give the creep 10 seconds to get off your property or you will call the Police to get him/her arrested for trespassing!!

They have ZERO legal right to do a home visit and the same principles apply for any unwanted visitors, if you tell them to leave then they have to leave!!

It is very unlikely to materialise but do not take any crap from any one stupid enough to try it!

“We believe Capital One Law takes privilege over UK Law” – Sven Lagerberg – Capital One.

-----------------

By supplying ALL the documents WILL NOT answer your questions but by supplying a SELECTIVE few will. – Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Separate requests with a fee should be made to ALL relevant Data Controllers in an organisation. - Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Our t&c's overrides ICO guidelines when reporting to CRA's - Karon A Bullock - Capital One

its been 18mts now.

ignore them!

dx

and they

As far as I am aware this visit never materialised. I was at work for two of the days after the letter was sent, but no calling card has been left. I would hardly say I was stressing about it though. :-)

Bank charges reclaimed:

£2160 from First Direct.

• 3 weeks later...

I now have a letter saying "I must advise you that your account has been selected for action by our legal partners HL Solicitors LLP"

Only Anglian Water can take me to court, right?

Is HL Solicitors LLP real?

Bank charges reclaimed:

£2160 from First Direct.